Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6C Governor

jmbfchase ยท 2023-09-26 19:50

We have a 10K Cat D6C 3306. Due to leak at the governor throttle arm shaft, we replaced the o-ring, shaft, and spring. Now engine will only idle and shutoff is inoperable.

Replies14
  1. #1kshansen2023-09-27 11:12

    Just guessing but think you got the fork on that shaft on the wrong side of the riser. A full S/N might help get more info.

  2. #2jmbfchase2023-09-27 11:27

    Thanks. 10K12575.

  3. #3Old Magnet2023-09-27 17:03

    If you pulled the shaft out a couple of levers fall off the shaft. Replace the inner seal while your in there (same as outer seal) Picture of how it should look when you put it back together plus parts diagram.

  4. #4kshansen2023-09-27 19:37

    Thanks for chiming in OM. I've done a couple of them but it's been way to long to try to explain it to someone!

  5. #5jmbfchase2023-09-27 20:20

    Thank you so much! Anything to be aware of when removing governor housing from injection pump?

  6. #6Nige2023-09-28 04:44

    Only that (AFAIK) the complete injection pump & governor assembly has to come off the engine before the governor can be split off the FIP. I'm sure that @Old Magnet will be able to give you more details.

  7. #7jmbfchase2023-09-28 08:16

    Thanks! Ok, so injection pump has to come off the engine to perform what Old Magnet says?

  8. #8Nige2023-09-28 08:36

    I'm fairly sure so, but I would like him to confirm that before you go ripping it off. If the FIP has to come off the engine should be set to the timing marks before removal.

  9. #9jmbfchase2023-09-28 10:03

    Ok, thanks! Hopefully OM sees this! It appears that the governor housing would unbolt while the FIP is on the machine, but unsure if there are other attaching parts internally.

  10. #10Nige2023-09-28 11:50

    I think this attachment might be applicable to your FIP/governor. On Page 3 (separation of governor from FIP housing) Step 1 is "start by: a) remove fuel injection pump housing and governor as a unit" There might be a workaround but that's what the service manual states. I'd still like OM to confirm it though........

  11. #11Old Magnet2023-09-28 19:53

    The governor section can be removed without removing the injection pump. Keep track of the items on the shaft. The attachment should help..... Yes the parts diagram is for a 3304 but it is the same governor arrangement.

  12. #12jmbfchase2023-09-28 20:04

    Thank you both so much! The Cat Service and Parts Manuals leave much to the imagination!

  13. #13davejor2023-09-29 00:16

    FWIW I made the mistake of disturbing that shaft when trying to replace the seal on my D4C series 2. I even knew I had to be careful but pulled on the shaft when wiping it clean and sure enough it pulled out and disengaged. I was able to separate the governor housing from the injection pump. Had to remove the fuel filter and mounts to get it off but did get it off. Was able to reassemble and it's working fine now. Note hoses and fuel filter location on my machine are likely completely different than yours.

  14. #14jmbfchase2023-09-29 08:11

    Thank you!