Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D6C Tilt Cylinder

1974FJ · 2022-12-07 13:09

Ive got a D6C that the previous owner swapped out the straight blade with tilt to an angled blade but did not have a tilt cylinder for it. my machine has the plumbing and pedal for hydraulic tilt but no cylinder. i have researched this a good bit trying to locate a cylinder that will work. the angle blade i have has the manual adujtable tilt arms with the ball and cap style ends. i see many photos of these hydraulic cylinders with the same ends. if you research tilt cylinder for D6C youll find #2J1402. however, i believe this works with the straight blade connection style. in my manual i see 7J3171 and 7J3172 for dual tilt cylidners. these appear to look right but i cannot locate any of these. below i have photos of my adjustable arms and another photo of a machine with tilt cylinder. Any thoughts?

Replies14
  1. #11974FJ2022-12-07 13:18

    Here is the commonly found 2J1402. i can buy this today for $1,500 but it will require modifiction to the attachment to the blade and/or to the cylinder ends.

  2. #21974FJ2022-12-07 13:19

    Here is the cylinder that looks like a bolt in replacement to the manual adjustment setup i have now.

  3. #3MattR2022-12-07 13:30

    By chance are you the fellow that just contacted me off of eBay about a blade I have for sale?

  4. #41974FJ2022-12-07 13:43

    Thats me! im looking for the cylinders.

  5. #5MattR2022-12-07 15:13

    That blade is off of d7g. Not sure if that would be the info you're looking for off of that. When I get to the the blades next I will try to remember to look for you. But hey you can always buy a complete angle Blade with tilt for a d6c for me. The only catch is that comes with a dozer also!

  6. #6.RC.2022-12-08 00:21
  7. #71974FJ2022-12-09 09:17

    .RC. Yup, thats it. but what cylinders are they? where can i find them?

  8. #8Nige2022-12-09 10:32

    Is the attached of any help.? It appears there are three possible tilt cylinder Part Numbers and of those 9T-2797 is the latest version, having replaced 1U-3495 and 7J-3171/7J-3172. The later cylinder Part Numbers are not specific LH/RH like the earlier ones. Rotating the head 180-deg changes a LH cylinder to a RH and vice versa. I found it under a 44E-prefix 6A Bulldozer Arrgt. 2 cylinders plus a 2P-6054 Lines Gp.

  9. #91974FJ2022-12-09 10:43

    Very Helpful. ive done a quick search online and dont see any forsale. I have a request into Portland Tractor Inc. beyond that im not sure where else to locate one or two.... Any thoughts?

  10. #10Nige2022-12-09 10:52

    Sorry I have no idea. Hopefully someone else can give you suggestions. A quick look on Machinery Trader Parts section revealed 2 of each 1U-3495 and 9T-2797 for sale. Both were "call for price". https://www.machinerytrader.com/parts/search?SearchType=Start&PartNumber=9T2797 Also try contacting Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN. www.offroadeq.com/

  11. #11Gavin Slader2025-11-30 20:46

    Reviving this thread. I have a D6C (#10k2726) with a stock tilt cylinder that has a ton of play in the connection to blade (all the shims have been removed - so no ability to adjust it that way). I am looking at options to replace the ball head on the rod (which I have off the machine to get re-chromed). I haven’t had any luck tracking down parts (or even part diagrams) for this. In the attached pictures the only part # I can track down is J3689 but that doesn’t come up with results when searching. I’d welcome any suggestions on where to go from here.

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-11-30 21:16

    You are missing a number try 4j3589 that's my guess

  13. #13Gavin Slader2025-11-30 21:59

    Thanks! That looks to be the right part number.

  14. #14Cmark2025-12-01 04:29

    There's a fairly good chance that the weld-on ball is 3F6492. The seems to be plenty for sale aftermarket.