Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6C told its a 1968, but think it’s a 1964 Turbo NEEDED

kcbimmer71 · 2023-05-24 13:26

We bought this used about a year ago, runs well, but the exhaust side of the turbo is just burnt through all over the place, and we're trying to find a new one. What's odd, is the center turbo cartridge which has 2 pipes on all I can find - an in and out for the oil, mine has a third which connects down behind the fuel pump area and it's a type of compression fitting on both ends (no bolts or gaskets). I cannot figure out what that 3rd line is for, nor a turbo to buy and replace ours. ANY help is greatly appreciated. The dozer is covered in layers of paint, the only # persay that I can find on the engine is on the oil filter side of the motor, on a plate, reading 76A1910. Can anyone help decipher this and possibly know what sort of turbo I have, or part number for the turbo which has 3 connections on the Turbo Cartridge. Thanks!!!

Replies26
  1. #1Nige2023-05-24 13:41

    76A1910 is the Serial Number. In that time frame the machine and engine Serial Numbers were both the same. The caveat here is that it depends on whether or not the engine is the original. But you want engine parts anyway, so the S/N is good for that. 76A is a US-built D6C where production started in 1963. So your machine is may be as late as 1965 but that's about it, at least IMHO. The big problem as far as you are concerned is that the electronic online parts & service system does not go that far back. So what you REALLY need is a Parts Manual. This is the one you need covering machines from first built up to 6061...... I can't see one in any of the usual online marketplaces, but these guys should have one - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=7601910 Failing that, go to the ACMOC website, register, and use their library.

  2. #2kcbimmer712023-05-24 16:40

    Thanks for the response, I cannot seem to follow that link and find the doc you posted. I did register for the ACMOC - never heard of it before, so I hope they can help as well. Truly appreciate your time!

  3. #3Nige2023-05-24 16:53

    You won’t find the manual shown in the illustration I posted on the link. Servicemanualpro produce OEM manuals for Cat and are generally cheaper. If you want that exact same manual from Cat, go to https://catpublications.com/ and type UE035000 in the Search box.

  4. #4Nige2023-05-24 16:59

    Sorry I mis-typed above. This link should work, but you may have to call/email them and ask if they have a Parts Manual specific to your S/N because it does not appear on their list. Official Caterpillar Service Manuals, Owners Manuals (OMM), and Parts Books for Engine & Construction Equipment Repair Official OEM Caterpillar factory service repair shop manuals, parts books, and operator manuals for sale for all Cat engines and machines. www.servicemanualpro.com

  5. #5Old Magnet2023-05-24 17:05

    76A1910 is a 1964 model. Original turbo part # 9M7738 replaced by 3S3510. These are two pipe turbo's, don't know about a third pipe?

  6. #6Nige2023-05-24 17:17

    Maybe the OP can post some photos of the turbo lubrication setup.?

  7. #7kcbimmer712023-05-27 14:02

    Hi there, sorry for the delay in posting some photos - work is nuts! So if you look at these images, you can see the bolt in top and bottom oil tubes on the Turbo Cartridge. You'll also see a roughly 3/8 to 1/2 inch tube with a compression type fitting on both ends which also attaches to the Turbo Cartridge and then travels behind all of the fuel pump/system and screws in behind it. The tape on the tube in question is to just keep it together for reference as it twisted in half when removed.

  8. #8Nige2023-05-27 14:14

    Does that "extra" lube line come from the side of the turbo that receives engine lube oil pressure.? It appears as though that is the case. The turbo oil drain looks as though it's on the other side of the centre housing. Can you post a photo of the other end of that hose - the one behind the fuel injection pump if I am reading your description correctly. Either way in order to answer the questions is going to need a Parts Manual, and the access to one is either going to be ACMOC or download a copy from Cat Publications.

  9. #9kcbimmer712023-05-27 14:20

    Here are 3 pics of this 'tube'.

  10. #10Nige2023-05-27 14:28

    Sorry, should have been clearer. The location where the hose connects, not the hose itself.

  11. #11Old Magnet2023-05-27 16:03

    Got into the shop manual. Yes there are three lines , supply line, return line and a vent line back to the crankcase.

  12. #12kcbimmer712023-05-27 16:22

    WOW, nice to make some headway! I wish I could find that manual/part number to be able to purchase and replace. Do you have a link/manual etc that I can access? I'm MORE than happy to pay for it - so I can have a correct manual for our dozer - then to find the darn turbo, along with understanding that 3rd line. I'll post pics of where it goes for NIGE but it is POURING rain atm.

  13. #13Old Magnet2023-05-27 16:50

    I already posted the turbo part numbers for that s/n. Service manual mentions the vent line but it is not shown in the parts diagram??? Plenty of Service Manuals for the 74A-76A D6 listed on ebay.

  14. #14Nige2023-05-27 16:55

    You don't need to, OM answered the question. For a Parts Manual go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest". Type UE035000 in the box and click the Search button. The illustration below should appear. If you decide to purchase a download you'll have it within 5 minutes. If you buy a CD or paper manual there will be S&H charges on top of the posted price. If I understand OM correctly the Parts Manual does not show that 3rd oil line but the Service Manual does. At some point you are going to need a Service manual also.

  15. #15kcbimmer712023-05-27 16:56

    That's the problem I keep finding, only 2 inlets, not 3. I'm not sure if I can just delete that 'vent line', plug it on the crankcase etc. Last thing I want to do is buy a new turbo and plug the crankcase and blow something up. I'm not a dozer/heavy equipment guy, but well versed in motors, car and motorcycle restorations - I have some competency but little on dozers. We bought this to clear 30 acres for our farm. I just cannot find a 3 line Turbo Cartridge anywhere. I've talked to locals here and Blanchard's - who've done a lot of work for us of late (CAT Dealer and Repair) - they can't either. it's so old that most just don't have a clue on it. I've also posted on ACMOC as well, but not getting much info/help thus far - but it's only been a couple days. Worst case, I'm wondering if I can find the exhaust side of the turbo and put ours back together. Ours works fine, but the exhaust side is just burnt out all over the place and blowing more air than going up the pipe.

  16. #16kcbimmer712023-05-27 16:57

    GOTCHA, thanks! Do you know of a place which has the Service Manual?

  17. #17Nige2023-05-27 17:04

    I posted a link to Servicemanualpro up above. Nothing appears online but you could try calling them. Jensales is another manual supplier. You’ll find them online but again it may need a phone call to enquire.

  18. #18kcbimmer712023-05-27 17:05

    Much appreciated you guys!

  19. #19Nige2023-05-27 17:07

    If the cartridge (the centre housing and rotating parts) is still in usable condition I wonder if it might be possible to get a turbine (hot side) housing along with the v-band clamp and just replace that.? It would require access to a Parts Manual, maybe OM can assist with some numbers.?

  20. #20kcbimmer712023-05-27 17:10

    All internals and casing is fine, it's just that exhaust side which has just burnt out, holes everywhere and a major patch that someone else has already done. I'm losing 1/2 of my exhaust from that side (blowing smoke everywhere) but out the exhaust stack. Appreciate your help!

  21. #21kcbimmer712023-05-27 17:12

    All internals are good, turbo works fine, but the exhaust side is totally burnt, holes everywhere and has a major patch already done. If truly I could find that part, instead of an entire turbo unit. We'd be good to go. Sadly where the part number would be for that part, is where the repair was made and nothing's there. Thanks again you folks for the help! Great help and resource thus far!

  22. #22Nige2023-05-27 17:30

    OK, time to get sneaky....... From the numbers posted on the previous page by OM. 9M-7738 Turbo Group services to 3S-3510 which in turn services to the latest available P/N 3S-4259. Not much use because all three Part Numbers are discontinued by Cat. However what those three turbo group Part Numbers above all have in common is the turbine housing P/N 7M-9901. I can find that same P/N turbine housing illustrated on other turbos. So forget the rest of the turbo for a minute and concentrate just on the turbine housing. This illustration is taken from the Parts Manual from a 53A-prefix 977H track loader. A bonus is that it even shows the famous 3rd hose........!!! So if you want a turbine housing the Part Number is 7M-9901. The V-Band clamp that fixes the turbine housing to the centre housing is 7M-9916 and the corresponding Nut is 7M-9918. The compressor housing on the illustration is the same as yours, 8M-3264. If you want to replace the V-Band clamp for that side of the turbo as well the P/N is 7M-9917 and it uses the same nut 7M-9918.

  23. #23Nige2023-05-27 17:41

    From the above it appears as though the turbo in the illustration (1S-1546 Turbo Gp) shares everything APART FROM the nozzle and the hot and cold wheels with the 9M-7738/3S-3510/3S-4259 turbos that fit your D6C.

  24. #24Old Magnet2023-05-27 19:51

    The vent line disappeared on later model turbo's. Went from direct vent with a filter to line to crankcase to no vent.

  25. #25Nige2023-05-28 18:59

    You will also need a 9M-9545 Seal in addition to the earlier list of parts if you change out the turbine housing. It fits between the housing and the backplate.

  26. #26Nige2023-05-28 19:04

    I missed a Part Number from the list of pieces that you need to swap out the turbine housing - 1x 9M-9545 Seal. It’s the seal that goes between the housing and the backplate.