Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 650G Transmission rebuild cost

drillrigdoc · 2023-05-24 03:43

Hey guys, Will here. I generally look at the Forrestry equipment on here, but I have a family member with a dozer issue. To spare the details , it is a JD 650G 1997 model S/N TO650GH834305. It has a failed transmission. He was quoted $9500 U.S.D. to rebuild it, with around 7k being just parts. I am just a marine diesel guy but that seems a bit steep. I appreciate any feedback, happy Memorial day everybody!

Replies5
  1. #1drillrigdoc2023-05-24 03:52

    As far as location, the machine is in s Oregon. Cheers boys!

  2. #2mg23612023-05-24 05:08

    Sounds about right. Actually, I would think in Oregon, it would be a little higher. Who quoted it? A dealer or and independent? Has the unit been disassembled and inspected so an accurate quote can be made? $2500 for labor sounds a little light as well. What is their labor rate?

  3. #3Acoals2023-05-24 05:20

    That probably isn't high. I was $8,000 into my 450G a year or two ago, but that was a friend working with me. If the 9500 is all new drive and brake clutches it sounds about right. If the guy rebuilding it is good the price will go up for all the miscellaneous stuff found once things get pulled apart. Finding parts for that era can start getting tricky, but maybe supply chain issues have smoothed out since I did mine.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2023-05-24 11:09

    I agree with mg, labor is light . Back in the early 90’s ,on a G dozer transmission thrust washer improvement program Deere warranty IIRC paid us 24 hours. A retail number would be closer to 40 hours .

  5. #5drillrigdoc2023-06-01 03:35

    Thanks all, sorry for the delay, Technical difficultys and such...