Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6C Won’t Move

JustinG ยท 2015-07-24 07:31

I have a D6C 10K series that will not move and has a noise coming from behind the engine. It cranks up and runs great, but the noise is around the torque converter area. How hard is it to pull the converter out on this? What can I do to make sure it is the converter it self, before pulling? I'd like to get this fixed and not just let it sit and rust away.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2015-07-24 09:23

    If you lift the floor plate (a time consuming and fiddly job) then between the torque converter and the transmission you will see a short drive shaft. If you have the engine running and the the transmission in neutral that shaft should be turning. If you engage any gear the shaft should stop.

  2. #2JustinG2015-07-24 09:29

    I'm in the process of removing the floor plate to check the driveshaft. The noise has me really concerned. Have you ever had a converter making a noise?

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-07-24 10:02

    Maybe the drive shaft came apart. Later Bob

  4. #4JustinG2015-07-24 10:09

    Hope that's the problem. Buying major components isn't cheap.

  5. #5JustinG2015-07-25 20:30

    Well, driveshaft is in place and not turning. Is there anyway to inspect the converter and flywheel?

  6. #6Bob/Ont2015-07-25 20:42

    Take them out and inspect. Drive shaft and convertor flange first, then convertor. Later Bob

  7. #7JustinG2015-07-25 21:15

    Will do, thanks.

  8. #8Nige2015-07-26 05:08

    Not turning at all even with the transmission in neutral..?

  9. #9Z28982015-07-26 10:53

    Pull the transmission filter first, cut it apart and have a look first. If you have a major failure you should notice debris. Also if it has a thimble screen in the drain line at bottom of torque, also a good place to look for debris. In the past, on inspection of drain line screens, I have found all kinds of different things that truly indicate catastrophic failure. It just confirms the worst. I always like to know that I need to take the component apart regardless of the damage. Draining the torque will also give you ideas as to failure, washers-bolts-gear teeth etc.