Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6D bottom rollers question

FarmerTom ยท 2014-12-16 17:22

The undercarriage on my D6D (4X series) is wore out. Going to replace track chain, sprocket segments, front idlers, top carrier rollers and bottom rollers. I have found all these parts where a man bought them, but sold his D6 and the parts where never installed. I could buy parts from him and it would be a good deal, but the bottom rollers have holes for 5/8" bolts and my machine has 3/4" bolts. Has anyone ever tried to drill the roller mounting holes out to 3/4"? I don't want to get in a situation where I have bolts breaking and rollers coming off after I run it a while.

Replies7
  1. #1Scrub Puller2014-12-16 20:44

    Yair . . . FarmerTom . The actual drilling would be no problem but you would want to do some precise measuring to make sure the hole centres and other dimensions are the same . . . 5/8" bolts sound light on for mounting rollers. I am sure some folks in the know will chime in here it sounds a bit strange to me. Cheers.

  2. #2FarmerTom2014-12-16 21:06

    A little more info on rollers After I posted my thread, I realized I should have given more info on bolt differences. The early model D6D had 5/8" bolts and the latter D6D had 3/4" bolts on the bottom rollers. (This is what I have been told by parts guys) Hope someone may have some insight on this! Thanks

  3. #302Dmax2014-12-16 22:06

    Yes, the break is at 47xx serial number I think. It could be done but you'd be looking at alot of drilling, there's 12 rollers so that's 48 holes. If I was doing it I'd take the time to build a good jig for a drill press to center the holes. 48 holes really wouldn't be that bad. It'd be a breeze if you had access to a mill and could bore them out with a flange facing bit.

  4. #4Old Magnet2014-12-16 22:39

    Drilling works but I'd recommend a core drill (multi flute short taper) or a bridge reamer (multi flute long taper) over a standard two flute drill bit.

  5. #5D6c10K2014-12-16 23:53

    If the rollers are new, you might see if a local track shop would take them in on trade for a set with 3/4" holes. Even if it cost a little difference it would save you some work. To drill them you'll have to make up something to set the rollers on the flat ends keep them straight. The ones I've got have shallow counter-bores where the bolt heads sit......They might have to be opened up too. My D6c has 3/4" bolts & D6D rollers....the track frames were drilled out and re-tapped 3/4"

  6. #6DoyleX2014-12-17 05:49

    I have the 5/8 bolts on my 6c. Throughout the years a couple holes have been drilled to 3/4 roller. The bolt and washer fit fine in the roller. Make sure to use the special high strength bolt as required in the parts book. The 3/4 roller is the same from the 6d to the 6r.

  7. #7FarmerTom2014-12-17 17:46

    Thanks for all the replies!!