Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d6d broken track spring advice

mlaird37 · 2025-10-02 15:56

Need some advice on this one. While cleaning the dozer I noticed the track spring has 1 coil sheared in half. Track is still tight and adjusts just fine. I only plan to use this machine 100-200hrs per year. It’s going in the shop to get new sprockets and replace a missing roller on the same side. I know replacing the spring is a huge job. Should I have it replaced while it’s in the shop or just operate as is since there are no issues with the track loosening. Kinda hard to see in the pics but it is a diagonal shear all the way through the coil.

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2025-10-02 16:27

    A busted recoil spring could easily cause a track to derail. Search for "Death Spring" before you start disassembling. That spring is not to be trifled with. Post a Serial Number and i can find the parts listing for the recoil mechanism. Both OEM and aftermarket springs are generally readily available.

  2. #2davo7272025-10-02 16:28

    Would also be a good time to replace the packings in the adjuster cylinders.

  3. #3davo7272025-10-02 16:34

    Otherwise murphy will blow out the seals on one side the day you come back from the shop.

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-10-02 16:38

    My thoughts there will be a good bit less tension on track , it will probably break more coils due to more cycles and some one that know what he is doing changing a spring isn't that big of deal I think i would have it done while in the shop

  5. #5mlaird372025-10-02 16:53

    serial number 4x4494

  6. #6mlaird372025-10-02 16:54

    Thanks. Stamped 4x4494 but may be 4x004494

  7. #7mlaird372025-10-02 16:56

    I’ve also read I should replace the rod and retaining nut too?

  8. #8Tones2025-10-02 17:10

    A good idea, no point in doing a barstard job twice.

  9. #9pittsburgh cat man2025-10-02 17:46

    yes center bolt and nut because you need it to install after spring is compressed old one is usually rusted pretty bad

  10. #10Nige2025-10-02 18:13

    In today's system it would be written 04X04494 acksherley

  11. #11JD955SC2025-10-02 19:07

    What I know about death springs: 1- Cut them with a torch 2- Let the shop idiot put the new one in. Also doesn’t hurt to let him do #1. I’m too smart and valuable to die doing something that stupid- he’s expendable.

  12. #12HeavyMetalRepair2025-10-02 19:50

    Replace it. Take it to someone that has the right tooling to do the job. It’s not that bad of a job, done it many times. Definitely reseal the track adjuster also.

  13. #13mlaird372025-10-02 22:07

    Thanks for the schematics and advice. I’ll do this

  14. #14TomA2025-10-03 10:38

    You can probably get by just fine for a while. When it is in the shop is a good time to get everything fixed properly. It takes a massive press to install a new spring. Not work for an idiot.