Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6D drive problem

Rdowling ยท 2020-01-04 16:51

I have a 1980 D6D that runs well. Have not had any issues. Lately I can run for a couple of hours and unit will go to a crawl and eventually stop. Can idle a few minutes and it will move again but not at full speed. Engine rpms and hydraulics are all still operating normal. Need some guidance on what the problem could be. RDowling

Replies20
  1. #1DoyleX2020-01-04 20:01

    Oh Yes! A good project in the works here! We were all just complaining about the lack of major disasters lately. Your gonna need to start by checking pressures. Top of transmission filter in engine compartment, small plug, should be at least 300psi hot. No then under your left foot on the deck open the trap door and take the magnetic filter out.

  2. #2Rdowling2020-01-04 22:47

    Yea, I figured I would need to start there. The pressure is good info. Thanks

  3. #3Nige2020-01-05 09:37

    I suggest that you check pressure starting from cold and see what happens to it as the machine warms up. That could be a clue.

  4. #4Bluox2020-01-05 11:48

    Assuming you have a power shift machine Transmission pump oil pressure hot 330-375 psi. Tap on transmission filter on left side of engine next to dip stick. If a direct drive adjust clutch. Bob

  5. #5Rdowling2020-01-05 13:34

    I will check pressure first. Yes, it is a powershift

  6. #6kshansen2020-01-05 14:25

    And just to be safe I'll suggest posting a full serial number! Unless the FBI is looking for the machine, then just the first few numbers and letter will probably be good!

  7. #7Rdowling2020-01-05 15:03

    SN 04X06926

  8. #8Rdowling2020-01-07 14:33

    Ok guys. I changed the filter next to the engine and cleaned the screen and magnets. Ran over 3 hours before stopping to refuel and have not had any issues yet.

  9. #9Nige2020-01-07 17:02

    What (if anything) did you find in the way of particles in the magnetic screen.?

  10. #10GODSDOZER2020-01-12 17:43

    my D6d was doing exactly what you are describing. Sent it to a shop this winter. they checked all pressures and they were in specs. They said they took some type of screen off of the transmission and found some trash in it. Said they couldn't find anything else wrong but couldn't guarantee that was/is the issue. It has been sitting at my yard since the repair and haven't ran it yet to verify if it is fixed. P.s I think the screen was on the suction side ? Not sure. they said it look like brake band or sterring clutch material. I had my brake bands and steering clutches replaced last year because they were worn out.

  11. #11Dave Neubert2020-01-12 21:54

    I had a customer with one it would run a wile then quit I found the suction hose clamps were loose and sucking air tightened them up and it worked after that

  12. #12DaltonA2024-08-05 17:05

    Hey man. I have this exact model and year dozer, and I have having the same exact issue!!! Did the first thing I did was check the transmission oil and it was just fine. Did you ever get the problem resolved?

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-08-06 00:23

    Sounds like you need to check the magnetic suction screen first to see if it has bits and particles of material in it.

  14. #14DaltonA2024-08-06 00:39

    Okay. The dozer is actually my neighbors who is an elderly man and I am trying to fix it for him because he is unable to work on it. Where would the suction screen be located? Would you happen to know where I could find an owners manual for this machine??

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-08-06 00:49

    You need to post the serial number and one of the Cat experts will be able to help you.

  16. #16DaltonA2024-09-26 15:06

    04X07587 should be the vin. Any help is appreciated. The dozer stopped pushing and will barely crawl. The motor runs very strong. I have a set of pressure gauges but not sure where to put them to check the trans pump? Anyone have any pictures or advice on what to do next?

  17. #17Nige2024-09-26 15:16

    Locate the screen assembly #12 and pull the guts out of it. The second illustration shows what it looks like inside. Take photos of whatever material you find in it.

  18. #18Puffie402024-09-27 14:56

    It is unusual for an oil suction screen to become plugged, and can be a sign of something more catastrophic happening inside, which is why we want to see photos of what is blocking the screen.

  19. #19.RC.2024-09-27 19:08

    The trans pump pressure is checked by the port on top of the trans oil filter housing. It will be a 9/16 UNO thread. Other threads will be 1/8" NPT Maybe some 1/4 NPT as well.

  20. #20.RC.2024-09-27 19:09