Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6d Steering clutch help

Landbutchr ยท 2024-11-03 16:03

I recently dove into what I thought would be brake band replacement but, after tearing into it I discovered that it was a clutch problem after all . After doing all the recommended pressure checks the left side clutch release seals are by passing behind the hub .In order to pull that hub I need Cat puller # 5p-2997 . In my area I cannot seem to locate the puller for sale or rent anywhere except the Caterpillar dealer. The cant rent the puller to me and to buy it from them the price is more than I can afford. My question is this . Does anybody know where I could obtain this puller used or perhaps an alternate. Thanks all

Replies9
  1. #1.RC.2024-11-05 06:39

    Cannot help you out but 1S4233 is another part number for essentially the same puller. 50 ton 1/2" stroke. or thereabouts.

  2. #2Old Magnet2024-11-05 11:11

    Here's the specs on the 1S4233. Surely must be some optional sources out there.....

  3. #3Nige2024-11-05 11:25

    Certainly an external supplier will have manufactured it for Cat.

  4. #4tctractors2024-11-05 15:16

    You only need a single acting hollow cylinder so with a spring return is handy but not important, there is NO task on CAT equipment that needs a double acting cylinder like this, the adapter that screws onto the pinion or cross shaft is deeper on the Series D as they placed a longer bit on the end of the pinion to make things easier to press off the flanges, there is an adapter plate also that bolts in place in front of the cylinder and end press plate, I would have put pictures of this in Shop Talk, look for the pulling sprocket thing.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2024-11-06 17:20

    I think there are 2 threaded holes in the flange that you can use cross bar and a porta power to pop off but should be pressed back on although I have just tightened the nut and beat it but will not get it tight enough and might loosen on splines. Check bevel gear bearings for play that is what knocks out the seals

  6. #6chidog2024-11-07 02:29

    Nice they show spec's but I'd go to the dealer and take some measurements, and make one. Double acting is mostly for pressing or pulling.

  7. #7.RC.2024-11-07 04:06

    You need 20-25 ton to push it back on. Either side (pinion hub or bevel gear hub). That is the sticking point where you need the proper hollow ram.

  8. #8tctractors2024-11-07 15:22

    I just thought I would make things clear about tooling for steering clutch work, yes you need a hollow cylinder that can have a bolt or thread stock as required passed through, but at NO TIME do you need a double acting Hollow Cylinder, a single acting hollow cylinder of the correct capacity tonnage is all you need, there is no task on any CAT Tractor or equipment that will ever use the in stroke of a hollow cylinder, I do have all the tooling to tackle CAT, Komatsu and Fiat equipment and have never ever used the in stroke of a hollow cylinder, this makes the cost a lot more realistic when you buy this type of service kit, this question has come up before and I was to bone idle to answer it, I hope this puts things right.

  9. #9Landbutchr2024-11-08 15:04

    for all of you kind folks who answered my post, thanks to you all. my friend has located a puller for us to borrow .it is located a couple of counties away from us but only bout a hundred miles or so. we should be diving back into it this coming week. I will let you all know how it goes . Thanks again