Ok, I need the expert advise of the smart people in here. I have a D6D that won't start. I changed the filters, bled the system, and it still won't start. I cracked the injectors and fuel came out when I used the hand pump, but it isn't squirting out when I turn the engine over. The hand throttle has typically been very firm to move... Now, it's very easy to move. I'm not sure if it is the source of the problem or not. I am definitely not getting black smoke when I try to start it. Any help would be appreciated!!! www.petersfamilytrucking.com
Its been awhile, but if you haven't already done this, have someone move the hand throttle back and forth while you check all the linkage and pivot points from the hand lever to the pump. If it is all working correctly, look at the throttle shaft while they move the hand throttle if it the linkage is moving the shaft itself and you still are getting no smoke you may need to get inside the pump and check the throttle shaft at its connection point inside. Pay close attention to the squeeze bolt connections, as in the photo they can and do get loose and just spin on the shaft(yea, like anyone could get lucky enough to have that simple of a fix). Like I said it has been many years since I played with a 6D (great loggin cat by the way), so if someone else knows more please chime in. i hate it when they don't smoke!!!
According to your post, when you said that the hand throttle is easy to move, the first thing that I would check is a throttle linkage problem. Make sure the shaft on the pump that conects to the linkage is turning and not stripped. If it is turning you probably have a broke shaft or gear. There should be a hard spot from kill position to low idle. Hope this helps.
Sorry big iron, I guess you and I both were posting at the same time and you must type faster than myself.:notworthy
I checked all the linkage and it's working properly... I suspect there is something inside the pump (whatever the shaft on the governor moves) that's not opening up. Does anyone have any experience with the guts of this unit? Thanks for all the help!
No Problem, like I said its been along time and my memory is a little fuzzy as to what the system looks like so any "fresh" knowledge is more than welcome.
Problem solved... I finally called my tried-and-true Cat mechanic and he knew exactly what the problem was, before he even looked at it. Apparently, the spring inside the "governor housing" gets rusted and breaks. So, he cracked a couple bolts and water ran out immediately... The spring was rusted in two and the rest of the little parts were all gummed up and rusted as well. So, we're rebuilding the whole thing! So, if you ever run across this problem... You'll know how to fix it! www.petersfamilytrucking.com
Hey having this problem, How hard was it to rebuild the governor? Having this problem, tried everything, how hard is it to rebuild the governor?