Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone else has ever had an issue with the side window wipers on this model or similar Cat dozers in general. The left side window wiper will not return to park. I have already replaced the wiper motor ( needed replaced regardless of this issue). After replacing the motor and seeing that the wiper on this side still wouldn't return to park, I decided to test the switch. Switch was good. So now I am thinking relay. However I am not even sure where the wiper relays are located on this machine and/or if Cat even refers to them as relays. Any information is greatly appreciated in advance, thanks guys! -Aaron
Would an electrical schematic help..? If so then send me a PM with your machine Serial Number and email address.
That's the thing, our parts guy at work accessed the schematic already but the relay layout isn't very good and had no reference for the wiper relays. Then again I am used to Volvo schematics which are much different. I appreciate your consideration very much however. I will let you know if I end up needing the schematic.
Having piacked a D6K at random (10 models to choose from) I can't see a relay for the wipers. How about a machine Serial Number..?
I think you must have a D6K2. On the MGM-prefix machine I can see a relay panel that is just inside the RH cab door. There are 2 relays marked for wipers.
Yes, Serial Numbers will go a long way to help get information. To ask for help without this minimal information would be like asking the same question about a F-150 Ford. Is it a 1972? a 1998? a 2016? Is it the base model or the top of the line model with rain activated wipers and so on! I see you only have four posts to your name so this is not only aimed at you but many others who come asking for advice. Too many people think all machines painted Cat Yellow with a "D6" on the side are the same!
Spot on Ken - there are 12 options of D6K Serial numbers. Imaigne how many there would be if someone just put D6 in the search........
Serial # is sent. Sorry for for the delay, work has been crazy. Wouldn't the "K" versions of D6 dozers only have been made within a certain period of years? This one is a 2011. I guess to separate options a serial # definitely would be helpful. I just assumed most recent cat dozers had side wipers but now I'm guessing that's extra. And 12 options? I was more looking to see if there was a common and known problem with these wipers.
there are a lot of people with extensive experience on this forum you could post the serial number or prefix so others can chip in Mark
Mark, S/N prefix is FBH. Actual machine falls into the group of FBH1617-Up, schematic UENR4023. No relays for the wiper motors on that particular tractor.
Looks like the parking is all done inside the motor. What part number did you install?
Mark I would have to get the number for you tomorrow. Knowing the local Cat dealership it could be a dud. When I looked at the schematic of the motor itself I was also contemplating whether the parking was done within the motor, if there aren't separate relays then I do not know what else it could be. Although the motor I removed would also not park. I reversed the side wiper switches to test and the switch is good so that would also eliminate connectors/wiring I would think.
Four wires to the motor; 200 Black should be ground. 111 Yellow should be battery +. 523 Brown and 524 Blue should be the feeds from the switch.
For the serial number supplied by Nige, as Cmark stated there are no relays. A fuse supplies power to the wiper switch and then via wire # 524 to the wiper motor which is grounded by wire #200, this enables the wiper to operate . To park, the wiper switch is turned off, which isolates power from wire #524 at the same time contacts in the switch connect wire #524 and wire #523 . The wiper continues to rotate to the park position because the wiper motor is also fed power via another fuse which is connected to wire #110 .wire #110 is connected internally by a set of contacts inside the wiper motor housing to wire #523. As wire # 523 and 524 are now connected together in the wiper switch .wire #524 continues to supply power to the wiper motor until the internal contacts open and the motor stops turning. therefor to enable park to happen, there must be power supplied to pin #4 at the wiper motor and wire #523 and #524 must be connected together via the switch and have continuity back to the wiper motor
According to the schematic the LH door wiper motor should be a 304-4243, or whatever replaced that number if it has been superseded.
Don't you just love cat schematics? There's not many manufacturers that will give you the values of the wiper motor internal cap and inductor.
Not only that but the simple fact that they actually give the part numbers of the switches and motors can save time trying to figure out where they are hid in the parts book! That along with the numbers printed on the wires themselves makes them much better than some others. Only had to deal with one Komatsu wiring diagram and that one would drive one to drink, as if a mechanic needed one!
It looks as though everything hinges on the Part Number of the replacement motor that was installed by the OP. I had a thought as to whether or not the wiper motors for the door windows might not be "handed" and the park position might have to be set by adjusting the motor, but that's not the case. The Part Numbers are different - 304-4243 for the LH Door, 304-4244 for the RH door.
Won't ever cease to amaze the over complicating of the simplest devices!
This is quite a simple circuit. when Nige had a guess at a serial number when you had not posted one. That machine uses The machine ECM as well as relays
Thanks for all of the help so far guys. Yes the part installed was 304-4243. The switch and switch connector would both have to be good since when swapped the right side wiper works fine. So I'm guessing it's either the connector for the motor or the motor itself?
Or the wiring between switch and motor. Ok, we've established the part Number is correct, but what exactly is the wiper doing when you switch it off..? Can you test the wiring to determine where the fault lies using Mark's explanation of how the system works on the previous page..?
The wiper will simply stay in the same position when stopped and not return to park. I could probably back probe the yellow wire and test continuity. As Mark stated, this is the wire requiring power for the park function to operate correctly. Although I can't quite break down the schematic quite as well as mark You guys have clearly been doing this longer than I have. That being said, I truly appreciate learning from your experience! I don't even know if work will want me to put the time into figuring this out, they might say as long as the wiper clears the window who cares. But personally, not knowing what's wrong with something drives me nuts.