my rear idler is leaking. How hard is it to replace seals and bearings? Or should I buy an after market one? Sure could use a procedure instruction and break down. Any help off suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Get an aftermarket replacement. It’s not worth the expense and effort it takes to rebuild one in my opinion.
i would put grease in thought end of axle till i had time to fix, if idler is still good grease will make it last a long time, the way i do it and rollers is drill small hole in plug use needle on grease gun and put grease in they use to just have grease long time ago.
I agree . I wanted to do this but I was not sure how to get the grease in . There is no plug i can see.. The idler seems to be in fine shape. I ordered a after market from hesvyquip. It comes in Monday. But , I may revisit greasing till winter. I was thinking i would rebuild , but, the price for new cat is not bad, after market is almost half that, rebuild parts from cat are almost as much as after market . No idea on rebuild labor . Wonder what it takes to get the bushing out. Although, I think i can split the track and install the idler pretty well, it will still wind up chewing a long day. Maybe I will tap a greas fitting into the cap and run till she fails. Whatya think?
I would you tab a zert into this thing? I wounder if it would circulate if I taped it into the (2,4) area. I know this " If you wanna run cool . you got to run on heavy heavy fuel" learned that listening to Dire Strights. If ya wanna run cool. If ya run cool. You gotta run on heavy heavy fuel heavy heavy fuel.
See the pick ii posted to the thread. Do you drill through the plug in the (2,4) area shown in the pic I posted. The center of the axcel?. Will this allow it to circulate to the bushing. I had a needle for my grease gun. Doubt I can find it. Thanks.
yes there is a plug in a plug anyway, and you have to let air out or will blow seal all apart will take a few times to get grease in it good but will work ouite a long time ,like i said long time ago there were greased anyway. you have noting to lose and time running to gain. have done it myself to plan a fix.