Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to Buy a Used D6N 2005 ish 10,000 hrs Any thoughts?

Andrew Navarrete ยท 2020-08-13 20:31

Hello, I am in the market for a Used Dozer and Ive been looking at the used CAT D6N LGP 2005-2008 with anywhere from 5,000 - 13,000 hrs on them. I dont want to buy a headache Any thoughts? what should I look for? What kind of major repairs should I brace myself for with a machine of this age? opinons greatly apreciated!

Replies6
  1. #1Philip S King2020-08-15 08:49

    I just bought one. Got in bid war and laid down the cash. Look at run out of track tensioner. Max is about 4.5 inch. This will clue you on track ware. I assume tensioning needs will acccelerate over time. At 10k hrs tracks should have been replaced at least once. If not factor this cost. Check belly for corrosion. If the belly has run in swamp you got big job replacing all tubes. That is a lot of time on HVAC expect to rebuild if not done. Check you blow buy . Compare with new or low hour to get feel . Heavy blow and factor eng build. If it has been kept up yiu got something to work with 12 k in parts labor first 500 hr. If run hard put up wet you can expect 3 months and 40k to get her right. Must say lots of afrer market parts. Not the hardest thing to work on.

  2. #2Andrew Navarrete2020-08-16 12:30

    If you dont mine me asking how much dId you pay?Year,hrs etc...?

  3. #3Krackerjack92020-08-26 05:12

    the RB auction in Houston several d6s went for 40k or less, most 2010 and up, 5000 to 7000hrs had like 20 of them there

  4. #4.RC.2020-08-26 05:45

    Gee you have cheap dozers there. Here old D6C's still bring $40 000+

  5. #5Andrew Navarrete2020-08-26 15:48

    Wow thats cheap. Ive been looking in Florida at RB auctions and the prices are high I havnt looked out of state at all. im gonna check into the houston auctions.

  6. #6Philip S King2020-08-26 17:59

    I paid a lot more than that earlier this year for older model then spent more to wire and plumb. I suspected the oil prive drop would filter to equipment price drop. Oh well.