Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D6N XL Not cranking

ROAMER_AUS ยท 2021-12-18 16:40

Hello all! My first repair of CAT dozer!!!! CAT D6N XL *AKM02417* Engine 3126 Not cranking. When I turn ignition on, lamps are flashing quickly. When I turn the key to crank, I just hear relay click on left hand side somewhere, but no crank. No errors are displayed. I tried playing with F N R handle, and park brake on/off, but that didn't help. Is this machine similar to this post: HeavyEquipmentForums And can I follow guides in the post? Also if somebody have wiring diagram or service manual, it would be great help. By the looks of it, this machine will stay with me for repairs and maintenance. Thanks!!!

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2021-12-18 17:32

    I'll send you a copy.

  2. #2ROAMER_AUS2021-12-19 06:57

    Great Help Nige!!! Thanks!!! I can trace and check everythnig except ECU. Is it known what conditions need to be met (except for signals on wires 307 and 308 ofcourse) in order for ECU to give out crank signal out on pin 10, wire 306? Also is there a way to display errors if any on screen? Thanks again!!!!

  3. #3Nige2021-12-19 07:42

    With the key on, press the first switch immediately on the right of the Monitor Panel. that switch should shift the Monitor from hourmeter into Diagnostic Code Mode. Release the switch and whatever Codes are present should scroll on the display one after another. Note the SERV CODE icon. If it lights up for a specific Code that means it is active right now. These are the ones you should concentrate on. You can get back to hourmeter simply by pressing the switch again. It may pay you to read up on the Click Box. At some point you are probably going to need one - HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4ROAMER_AUS2021-12-21 11:57

    I had a look at Service codes, it had 3R and 3F active. Serv code was also present on screen. What are these two? And another case of TRUST NOBODY!!!! I didn't mention before, there was another electrician before me to check the machine, and he said that he checked key switch ,all fuses and starter, and they were OK. Right..... Starter is the problem. it pulls in, but, either doesn't make connection to main cranking motor, or brushes don't make contact. There is just a big burn mark at the main + terminal where electrician "checked" the starter. I have to pull it out now. It looks very cramped in there. Anyone removed on of these before? It looks like I'll barely reach some of the bolts. Any advice? Thanks!!!

  5. #5Nige2021-12-21 12:06

    3F & 3R is the setting for the transmission gears. 3 Forward/3 Reverse. Try pressing the switch again. I can't remember how many menus that switch accesses. If SERV CODE remains lit after the initial panel test it means that you have at least one active Diagnostic Code present in the Monitor System.

  6. #6ROAMER_AUS2021-12-21 12:35

    I pressed the button straight after self test, and it flashed 3F, then mileage, then 3R, then mileage again (different number). And repeated flashing that sequence. Pressing the button again brings it back to normal screen. Serv Code remins lit all the time.

  7. #7Nige2021-12-21 13:18

    OK, refer to the electrical schematic I sent to you. You need to find CONN 3 which is the 4-pin Monitor Service connector. Page 8 Grid F-16, also on Page 12 is shown the machine location of that connector. Then you need to do a bit of reading because theoretically this needs a Click Box which you don't have. Soimewhere towards the end of this thread is an explanation of how to put the Monitor into Service Mode (Mode 3) using no more than a short piece of automotive wire. HeavyEquipmentForums

  8. #8ROAMER_AUS2021-12-21 13:26

    Thankx Nige. I'll check it all out. Clicker box I can make in no time. Just need to see what sort of connector it is. No problem for that. Main thing is that I found what the no start problem is.

  9. #9Nige2021-12-21 15:16

    A 4-pin Deustch judging by the Part Number on the schematic. If there are one or more Active Codes on the machine it would be a good idea to find out what they are and fix them.

  10. #10ROAMER_AUS2021-12-21 16:19

    I will check out the codes for sure. For now I'm just concerned on how to pull out the starter. 4 pin deustch I can source from a car somewhere. Japanese cars are full of them from what I can remember.

  11. #11Mobiltech2021-12-21 16:46

    I think a d6n takes a 12 point 10 mm socket or box end wrench to get out the 3 mounting bolts. To use a socket you will need a somewhat modified wobble extension 3/8 drive to get on the heads. And yes it is no fun .

  12. #12ROAMER_AUS2021-12-22 12:51

    This must be right then.....