New member here and looking for advice on my dozer that i have owned for a little over a year current hours are 7200. Yesterday it started acting sluggish in gear pushing brush and the trans temperature got hot fast. Today I pressure check the modulation valve and all seemed within specs. I also noticed that if I have the machine in neutral and rev the engine up it will hit about 2000 rpm and then start pulling the engine down like it's flooding the torque converter. I believe the problem is the torque converter or pump. I'm pulling the floor pan and dropping the belly pans and dig a little deeper. How can I tell if it's the torque converter or scavenger pump. My local cat dealer answer is we can send a mechanic out to look at it. Any help would be appreciated I seen a few other threads that are almost identical to my problem from a few years back but the conversation ended before anyone identified the exact problem.
Welcome. Many questions - for starters a full Serial Number please and does it have any Active Diagnostic Codes..? Also your symptoms sound like they could potentially be fuel starvation - at least if it was me I'd want to eliminate fuel flow issues as a possibility before moving forward. When was the last time you changed the fuel filters and drained all the cr@p out of the fuel tank..? Last one (for now). Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.?
Serial number ade00511 No active codes I don't believe it's a fuel issue. The motor seems to have a heavy pull on it not lack of power. Fuel filter less then 150 hours no water or dirt in the sediment bulb and I open the drain on the bottom of the tank regularly. No manual
Fist off I should say I am not familiar with this new a dozer, newest D6 I ever worked on was a D6C! So take what I may say for what it is costing you! Well one thing I'd do is go to this link and see about getting an operation/maintenance manual: https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=ade00511 You mention the trans. temp going up fast, if it's hot and you put in neutral and rev up the engine does it drop fast or stay the same ore continue to climb? A couple filters/screens I would be interested in checking see the attached files, not sure if they can be removed with oil still in transmission, maybe some one can answer that? And also probably the actual filter
When it got hot it stayed hot or was getting a little hotter would not come down. It was a 50 degree outside and I wasn't pushing that hard. I'm currently dropping the belly pan & floor pans as we speak. Kshanen I have printed the information that you posted in a previous thread from about 2 years ago from a member named earthscratcher. My dozer is acting almost identical to his. This includes the two files you just posted and the pressure tap file.
Something I posted 2 years ago is possibly helping someone today? Dang I can hardly remember what I had of breakfast this morning! good luck and let us know what you find one way or the other. I'm sure someone will have the information you need!
Just for the sake of ruling it out I'd be very tempted to put a pressure gauge on the fuel system and see what the numbers look like. That way at least you can rule it out if the fuel pressure is good. For an O&M manual you can download it direct as a pdf from Cat. Service Manual Pro only do CD or paper and neither of them is instantaneous if you decide that you need one right now. Also there is a S&H charge on top of the price. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU7298 in the box and click the Search button. The illustration below should appear.