Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4h cylinder grease fittings

354d · 2019-11-17 08:03

This pic is of the lift cylinders on a D4h 8PB01747 . Does this require greasing? I don’t see any reference to greasing these fittings in the owner’s manual. Thanks, Carr

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2019-11-17 09:02

    I may be missing something but tare there actually grease fittings in the end of the cylinder rods.? It's hard to see from the photos whether it's a blind hole or not. If there are grease fittings, the frequency should be daily or every 10 operating hours whichever fits your operating regime best.

  2. #2354d2019-11-17 11:00

    I can’t tell how you are supposed to grease this cylinder rod end. There are no 1/8”npt pipe threads to install a zero fitting. All of the cylinders on this dozer are set up the same way. I thought someone on this website might have a similarly equipped dozer. Thanks

  3. #3hosspuller2019-11-17 11:04

    Grease fitting in the pin ???

  4. #4Tinkerer2019-11-17 11:16

    The only sure way to know if it is possible to grease them would be pull the pin and look for a hole in the bushing. I doubt there is one in them. I ran a service / lube truck many years ago and saw a lot of rod ends like that. Never worried about it needing to be greased.

  5. #5354d2019-11-18 15:47

    The pins do not have a grease fitting. Thanks.

  6. #6DMiller2019-11-18 17:45

    That Alignment hole is for Lathe Tooling centering when the shaft was built. It is not a lube point and the pins should be grease fitting equipped unless someone changed them out.

  7. #7Bluox2019-11-18 19:07

    That machine has 2 grease fittings on the blade and they are both on the pin that holds the blade to the C-frame and they are 50 hour fittings. I'm gonna bet they won't take grease. Bob

  8. #8354d2019-11-18 22:08

    I will search for these grease fittings on the blade. I had hoped that the operator manual that I bought from Caterpillar would have information on these grease fittings, but it doesn’t. Thanks

  9. #9354d2019-11-18 22:10

    Makes sense about this mystery hole. The pins are not equipped with grease fittings. Thanks

  10. #10kshansen2019-11-19 07:42

    Did some digging on SIS and it appears that there are three different cylinder arrangements most notable is the difference between the 3G9226 Chg04-05 and the 3G9226 Chg6-06. Those numbers should be on tags welded to the barrel of the cylinders. First is the Chg04-04: Note #8 Rod shows no grease fitting? Next is the Chg06: Note that now there is a #14 grease fitting? Still trying to find on SIS the C-Frame with the attaching pins for some reason I'm hitting a dead end so far. Not sure why it took so much digging but finally found the C-frame: Note that Pins #2 do not call for fittings but pin #31 has a grease fitting #34, not shown in part number list but they are there. Also note that when I cropped the picture of the two cylinders above I did not show the other end, but the same thing goes for that end the 04-05 cylinder does not show a grease fitting while the 06 cylinder does show a grease fitting. And while I getting all anal on this the cylinders that do NOT have the grease fitting use a 7J6003 bushing and the cylinders with the grease fittings use a 9T8421 bushing in both ends.

  11. #11DMiller2019-11-19 10:00

    Hardened sleeve bearing, polished surface minimal rotation expected type bushing. Pins would wear if are the softer material as does not rotate all that much unlike a loader or hoe. Simplifies life.

  12. #12354d2019-11-19 10:11
  13. #13ttazzman2020-01-08 23:15

    zoom in on my file picture and you will see mine(8pj01482) has a fitting on the top of the cylinder end...would be on bottom if installed upside down..

  14. #14InsleyGuy2020-01-08 23:50

    In 1986? I got the 4th d4h sold in Michigan, 8pb00485. It had no grease fittings. They used "oil impregnated" pin bushings which turned out to be not the greatest idea. Not sure when they corrected that, probably by the series II units?