Hey guys, we have this d6r lgp with 12050 on it. We bought it at an auction and as far as I know, the tranny or motor are still original. Did a oil sample lately and everything came back fine. Also did a valve set on the engine. The oil had about 300hrs on it . So my question is, depending on how this cat was used in the field before we bought it, how many hrs can I expect to get out of a engine and tranny before rebuilding those components?
You're basically asking how long is a piece of string. As I'm sure you're well aware everything depends on how well it was maintained & operated in its previous life. One thing is that these engines like clean oil so doing engine oil & filters on time using good quality lubricant & filters is a must. Keep a track on how much oil it uses between changes. Ball park figure on engine & powertrain components, 15,000 hours. YMMV.
Cat's basic answer in the time period that your machine was built was that the most cost effective time for rebuild for second life was around 12,000 hours. The issue was the wear on components that required replacement would get up over the cost of another engine. Things like block, crank and cam machine work, gear replacements, rocker arms and supports and any other small items like bolts, damaged covers, problem oil pans and such, many times make it prohibitive to rebuild very high hour engines and drive trains. My basic answer is that the machine will run until you get tired of putting money in it.
John makes a very valid point. The more hours you put on any component (or the more fuel an engine burns irrespective of hours run) the more chance there is of high-dollar parts not being fit for a 2nd life when it finally gets torn down. That’s what makes the timing of a rebuild critical. So long as the machine frame remains in good condition everything else is bolt-on and can be rebuilt or replaced as infinitum. Whether that’s economical is up to the owner to decide.
That’s understood that it would probably be a good to rebuild the engine around this time , that is if the major parts can still be reused. Or else run it till it goes and then swap it with a new engine. I have heard that the c9 engines usually fail when the push rod retaining rings get weak and then the push rods disconnect from the cam follower, therefore resulting in more components having to be damaged, and replaced. I am thinking if I keep on servicing the engine, on time with quality oil, and filters like nice said, then I should be good. As of now the engine is not consuming an abnormal amount of oil. I also want to note that I really don’t have any experience so for with the tranny on those machines. I am assuming the tranny can be rebuilt by removing the cover once the ripper is removed.
You don’t even need to remove the ripper, just put it all the way down - maybe pull the pins on the shanks and let them go all the way up as you lower the ripper. The transmission slides out of the back of the frame on rails and you need to sit the back end of it on the ripper frame to allow you to grab hold of it with a hoist and lift it out.