Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d6r quit moving

Crescentclearing · 2023-04-15 16:26

machine was working made a pop and quit moving. the driving shaft spins very slow wether in nuetral or in gear ? converter or transmission??

Replies32
  1. #1Nige2023-04-15 16:48

    Pump failed.? It supplies oil for both. Time to break out the pressure gauges I'd suggest. Test pump pressure first.

  2. #2ahart2023-04-15 17:00

    If you don’t have any pump pressure check the drive coupling for the powertrain pump. There’s a cover over it that will probably make you do some cursing.

  3. #3Crescentclearing2023-04-15 21:37

    where are the test ports im not familair with cat this is my first one ive only had 750 deeres

  4. #4Crescentclearing2023-04-15 21:41

    converter doesnt sound very healthy. ever seen the planitary fail? also does the transmission and converter run through same filtration? if seperate i figured the filters would show something

  5. #5Nige2023-04-15 22:00

    Post a Serial Number and I’ll look up the procedure for you. There must be 50 different models of D6R, it would be handy to know which one you have.

  6. #6Crescentclearing2023-04-15 22:35

    Pn01894

  7. #7Crescentclearing2023-04-15 22:35

    Pn01894

  8. #8ahart2023-04-16 05:16

    I have seen a TC planetary fail, usually a result of main bearings or thrust bearing in the engine being bad.

  9. #9ahart2023-04-16 05:21

    See attached for pressure tap locations and a full pressure chart.

  10. #10Crescentclearing2023-04-16 07:46

    If bearings are bad can I just replace them in machine bc motor seems very tight not a bit of smoke or blowby

  11. #11ahart2023-04-16 07:50

    I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions just yet, get it all tested out and see what you’ve got. Engine oil filter cut open will tell you if you’ve got bearing issues or not.

  12. #12Crescentclearing2023-04-16 07:52

    Machine has 13k hours on it aswell

  13. #13ahart2023-04-16 09:04

    If it’s original engine, it’s definitely starting to push the upper limits on hours.

  14. #14Crescentclearing2023-04-16 10:26

    0 pressure to all driveline ports! the bolts were rung off and seems the pump yoke/shaft is frozen cant get it to move even with a pry bar.

  15. #15Mobiltech2023-04-16 10:39

    Sounds like transmission pump packed it in. Maybe a broken gear. It is a multi section gear pump.

  16. #16Crescentclearing2023-04-16 10:43

    Should I be safe to change pump and filters and be back working?

  17. #17Mobiltech2023-04-16 10:46

    Pull pump and inspect it. You need to know which section failed so you know how much and where the debris ended up.

  18. #18Nige2023-04-16 11:07

    Depending on how big the pieces from the pump failure are there might be something lodged somewhere further down the circuit beyond the pump. Also really need to pull the suction screen/magnets and the screen below the converter (if it has one) see what’s lodged there also. That will give you an idea of the condition of the transmission and converter. That will need the oil drained first unless you want a bath when you pull the cover. If you are doing all your own maintenance a manual would be a good investment. They can be downloaded for around $50. If you’re interested I can post up some instructions how to do it.

  19. #19Crescentclearing2023-04-16 11:29

    Thank you for info Please post it I will purchase it now

  20. #20Nige2023-04-16 11:37

    I think your complete machine S/N should be 9PN01894. Those should be the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN Number on the plate. Can you confirm that before I go any further please.

  21. #21Crescentclearing2023-04-16 15:33

    CAT00D6RC9PN01894 drained the converter oil was dark but clean also pulled screen out of back of transmission nothing in screen. am i safe to replace pump and change fluid? are there filters for the transmission oil?

  22. #22Nige2023-04-16 15:44

    Here you go. This is a genuine Cat manual. $43 + shipping. SEBU6887 CAT D6R Track Type Tractor Operation Maintenance Manual CD. 4FM 8TM 9BM | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for SEBU6887 CAT D6R Track Type Tractor Operation Maintenance Manual CD. 4FM 8TM 9BM at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com An illustration of the magnetic screen. It's in a housing directly below the pump. You might need to drop the bottom guard under the tractor to get access to it. There is also a screen in the drain line from the converter. It's in the end of a hose, marked as Ref #6.

  23. #23Nige2023-04-16 15:53

    Dark oil doesn't sound too good, almost like it could be burned. Any smell to it? There shouldn't be. I'd pull the magnetic screen and the one in the converter drain if you haven't aready. Yes. O&M Manual procedure for changing filter attached. Part Number is 132-8876 which is a High-Efficiency element. There are two O-Rings 2K-4472 and 6D-9157 (1 of each) in the cover. They do not come with a new filter, you would havew to buy them separately. Not until you have opened up the old pump and seen how small is the shrapnel it produced IMHO. If it's produced lots of small partcles you could be in for more disassembly & cleaning.

  24. #24Crescentclearing2023-04-16 16:51

    Lots of small particles in that magnet and actual trans filter filter. The screen on back of trans is clean.

  25. #25Nige2023-04-16 17:41

    Can you post some photos.? Did you find the screen in the converter drain hose.? If you were to install a new pump without a proper system cleanout you could trash it in short order.

  26. #26Crescentclearing2023-04-16 17:52

    I called it a day before I made it to that screen. It’s very very fine almost like mud. The magnet seemed to do it’s job as there wasn’t anything on the screen only the magnet. I’m going to clean the screens and get what I can when I remove pump. Replace pump and buy 2 or 3 extra filters and run it a few hours and replace filters and hope that catches what’s left over.

  27. #27Crescentclearing2023-04-16 18:28
  28. #28Nige2023-04-16 19:39

    What’s on the magnets is not so bad if you have never had that screen out in the time you’ve had the tractor. Those particles came from the transmission over time. It is supposed to be removed and cleaned every time the transmission oil is changed. Side note. What type of oil are you using in that system.?

  29. #29Crescentclearing2023-04-16 20:06

    ok so i bought this machine site unseen cheap from the original owner who thought was bad transmission. They just dumped a ton of money into new finals drives and many other components on this machine then put it on a job ran 2 days and this happend they hauled it to yard and listed it for sale. i do know its only had cat parts and service done on it. i have no idea the oil used. what oil do you recommend and also where should i purchase a new pump from?

  30. #30ahart2023-04-16 20:09

    Cat TDTO 30W for the transmission and I’d be putting a Cat pump in it and replacing the couplers on both sides of the driveshaft.

  31. #31Nige2023-04-16 20:15

    You could go with any major oil company branded product that meets Cat TO-4 specification. Mobiltrans HD30, Conoco Powerdrive 30, Shell Spirax S4 CX30 are a few I can think of off the top of my head. I'd still like to see the inside of the pump. It must have grenaded pretty well to lock it up. I'm just fearful of where exactly the particles from it have ended up.

  32. #32Crescentclearing2023-04-16 20:33

    im going to remove it tomorrow evening ill keep you updated