Hello; My father owned a dirt moving company and it was inherited by my sibling and I when he passed. Unfortunately, Dad did not discuss or teach us anything about the dirt business because we are females. Despite this, we both got into industrial construction.....but there's a pretty big learning curve between the two. We are unable to liquidate the business at this time due to clauses in the trust (not that we want to liquidate everything). Instead, we've opted to rent out certain pieces of equipment, as well as a semi, a belly dump, and a lowboy trailer. We were able to get rates for most everything EXCEPT a 2016 JD 550 dozer. It has less than 500 operating hours and has been maintained regularly. Can anyone give me an idea for a fair monthly rental price, where the renter has agreed to cover maintenance costs, while we'll cover costs for tires and major repairs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance, Redhedd
Good evening, Maybe check with your local equipment dealers as most have a rental division to get an idea of what they are charging. Do you have a national chain like Sunbelt Rental? You would just have to keep in mind that you have an older machine. See if you can pull up their rental agreement paperwork. If you go through with this I would surely recommend that you have an Attorney write up your contracts. I would be very weary of who I rented the machine to as I have seen ne machines put through hell . Good luck with your endeavor
Welcome to the Forums WR. A JD 550 dozer does not have tires that I am aware of so why would you cover that cost?
I looked around Wyoming at rental outfits and see your problem. Nobody rents anything that small so it is hard to get a good idea of price. Check out this link, it has rental prices for 550's all over the country. https://www.rentalyard.com/listings...025/dozers/manufacturer/deere/model-group/550 I see monthly prices of $4000~$5000
Yeah, I'm aware the dozer doesn't have tires, but the loader, scraper, truck & trailers sure do cuz new tires for those sure left one hell of a dent in the checkbook. I appreciate your input.
Thank you, Skyking1. I truly appreciate your help.
Sorry about that, I was confused by your question. We get a lot of spam here on HEF and sometimes it's difficult separating the spam from genuine posters.
At the very least I hope you will have someone on the payroll to oversee the rented out equipment, many people that rent equipment don't have a clue what it will reasonably do in work output, nor what a piece of equipment is capable of without abusing it. A manager to keep a close eye on that will payoff. Just being sure the renter is holding up his end of the deal can have big returns. Some people can take an old piece of equipment and work it like new without major problems but...some people can take a new piece of equipment and make it old very fast. JMHO.