Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6T LGP track problem

stevenatkinson · 2015-02-25 11:34

Hey Guys Our D6T LGP broke a track link today, it has system one chains and I was wondering if I can fit a new link myself or do I need special tooling/press. Any assistance would be great. Thanks.:beatsme

Replies12
  1. #1ksessions2015-02-25 13:06

    I believe you a have to buy a special press from cat just to get the master link split. But then I think they are the only ones who can press in a new link.

  2. #2Mark102015-02-25 13:08

    What kind of hours is on the chains Steven? Cat give you a 6,000 hour warranty with a set of system one chains.

  3. #3stevenatkinson2015-02-25 14:06

    They have done 7000 hrs so I can't complain just don't like paying through the nose for the dealer to do a simple job like that. I guess the press will cost a fortune.

  4. #4Mark102015-02-25 14:56

    I guess you can't complain with that, chains must be at the end of there life if there starting to snap. Think your looking at getting Finning out as buying a track pin press is very costly.

  5. #5Construct'O2015-02-25 17:19

    With those hours and broken link then track are do for replacing.If lower hours and needing to break track for repairs and no other issues then you could just cut the link and get master links for your tracks.Good luck

  6. #6lantraxco2015-02-25 21:19

    Check with CAT, ask if there are clamp style master links avaliable for your particular D6T tracks. If you can get them and the bolts, a couple careful minutes with a torch should remove the broken link(s) and you just install the masters back in place of the standard links. If it's the inside links, you may have to buy a box, two links with the pin cartridges installed?

  7. #7Construct'O2015-02-25 22:38

    Problem with using the master with his now wore down rails he will have to trim down the rail of the new master link to match the old rails or it well have a rough ride when it comes to the taller new link.

  8. #8jlittle22122015-02-25 22:53

    Be careful with torching the old pieces off. Remember the seals! The best way I have removed the system one is a small pancake ram. Also a Carbon AirArc works great to cut the old links off just do it slowly. The air kinda keeps things cool as long as you don't gouge the pins! Hope you don't need a box! Box = taking apart more links = PITA!! GOOD LUCK

  9. #9lantraxco2015-02-25 23:32

    True, but then that's always the case with new links and worn rails. Always best if you can find some used bits that match up better.

  10. #10caterpillarmech2015-02-26 05:11

    I use a cut off de grinder. I have melted seals out and had to do plenty more work! I slit the link over the pin and beat it off with a hammer. I usually go back with the clamp on masters.

  11. #11lantraxco2015-02-26 10:45

    Now why didn't I think of that? Good idea!

  12. #12stevenatkinson2015-02-27 00:26

    I had finnings track guy out yesterday we have ordered a full undercarriage for the 6T including all rollers new chains and pads not much change out of £20 k ouch