Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pics of my recent dozer work. Critiques welcome :)

ksessions ยท 2015-02-25 11:04

Stock pond I just finished. -3/4 of an acre. Belly and water level of pond 12' deep with 2' of freeboard on dam. Reapplied topsoil on top and back slope of dam to allow grass growth. The pic don't do much justice to depth and size. Tell me what ya'll think.

Replies28
  1. #1stevenatkinson2015-02-25 11:37

    Excellent work, perfection what tractor did you use:notworthy

  2. #2ksessions2015-02-25 12:43

    I used my D5K LGP Steven.

  3. #3LiecaMan2015-02-25 13:50

    Looks really nice, how long did that take you?

  4. #4stevenatkinson2015-02-25 14:08

    Doesn't look like you back bladed either Kudos.

  5. #5ksessions2015-02-25 14:12

    Thanks guys!! I had 5.5 full days total in it. It went sooth and quick being the topsoil I had to strip wasn't very thick.

  6. #6RonG2015-02-25 14:30

    Nice work,ready for the big time.Ron G

  7. #7ksessions2015-02-25 14:35

    Lol where's the big time at Ron?

  8. #8td15c2015-02-25 15:34

    nice work. I was wondering how you deal with or build your overflow. we usually have a riser pipe or slope pipe sized for the drainage, then a emergency spill way two feet higher than the pipe inlet, then two feet two top of dam.

  9. #9Greenstreet2015-02-25 17:12

    I'd have to make a note to remind myself to move truck before filling with water... Would also like to see a pic of how you build the outflow.

  10. #10Dickjr.2015-02-25 17:41

    Looks good. I use the same size tractor as well. Anything any bigger and it seems hard to make a profit. The dirt looks clean to work with as well.

  11. #11CM19952015-02-25 17:49

    Good job! That's a large pond for a D5, how many hours you have in it?

  12. #12ksessions2015-02-25 18:40

    50 hours in it. I did a natural drain 2' under the dam hight. I prefer natural spillways if possible. This tank was able to use one being its not a spring fed creek and will only over flow when tank is full.

  13. #13Tinkerer2015-02-25 18:55

    All it needs is fish habitat.

  14. #14td15c2015-02-25 19:06

    thanks ksessions are most of the small ponds in TX natural spillways.

  15. #15southernman132015-02-25 19:27

    How deep is the topsoil typically and how important is it to remove it? We want to build a pond and were not exactly sure how to do what we need to do yet. We're in the process of gathering info. Our plan is to dam uo a small spring fed creek and install a pipe with an up spout. Excuse my terminology. Don't mean to derail your thread. It looks like you have done some incredible work ther my friend. I would be proud to show that off fosho!!

  16. #16Scrub Puller2015-02-25 19:46

    Yair . . . That's a real nice job ksessions . That is a typical Australian style stock water dam . . . we always cut a by wash and never mess about with pipes. Depends on rainfall and catch area but I always like about three foot freeboard here along the coast. Over the years I have built probably hundreds about like that and larger only mine don't turn out so neat. (big grin) Fifty hours sounds about right, what would be the hourly rate of your tractor? Some time back on this board there was some discussion about pushing out this size hole or doing it with a towed or motor scraper. One member reckoned his tractor could always haul more than it could push and wouldn't consider blading . . . what do you reckon? Cheers.

  17. #17ksessions2015-02-25 21:07

    southernman13 the reason for stripping your topsoil is so you won't have any water seepage in your dam. You need to get down to the clay material that is needed to build your dam out of. You want to strip all the top soil then core out where the dam is going to be to ensure you have a tight seal where your dam is going to be. The topsoil is irrelevant on the back side and you also want it there so you can get grass to grow. You have the right idea installing a pipe drain in a spring fed creek you are planning to dam up. The reason being for a pipe in that case is you will have constant water flow that will prevent vegetation from growing to keep from washing out in a natural spillway setting. Scrub Puller I get around $100 an hour for dirt work. I'd agree that on longer pushes it would be quicker to use a dump truck or scraper to haul. On smaller ponds I prefer working by myself lol, less congestion and people getting in my way I guess it all depends on how efficient the operator is on the dozer.

  18. #18stumpjumper832015-02-25 23:03

    Ksessions, congrats on a very nice looking dam. Have you used larger dozers much? Stuff in the d6t size range?

  19. #19southernman132015-02-26 06:26

    Ok thanks. Do you remove topsoil in the entire pond area or just where the dam is going to be built. Our pond site like I said is a spring fed creek and it's like a valley. If we dam it up it will make a pond so I'm not sure if we need to dig anything other than the dam area. Thanks for your help.

  20. #20Scrub Puller2015-02-26 07:33

    Yair . . . southernman13 . I follow convention and remove the topsoil from the whole excavation area. When constructing a wall (particularly with a dozer) the theory here is that that any topsoil loaded with organics could form a "lens" or pipe through the bank . . . a theory that I believe is Bull****e but I go along with it to keep every one happy. It is nice to be able to drift the topsoil back over the bank and to a little below water level in the hole although most clients jack up about the extra bit of time involved. The most important part is the base of the bank and this needs to cleaned down to a good layer and ripped before starting to place the fill. The main problem around here is finding enough clay to line the wall. Some of the banks are built from pure white sand with a foot or so of clay lining if we are lucky. Under such conditions with care it is possible to construct a satisfactory facility although no guarantees are ever given. Cheers.

  21. #21ksessions2015-02-26 09:13

    Yesser I've used d6&7 T's on the pipeline for right of way and finish work. Awesome machines!! I just recently bought the D5 for myself and it's as big as I can haul with my dually. Well it's actually a littler over weight lol.

  22. #22stumpjumper832015-02-26 15:31

    right, Ive had a deere 550g, when to a ih td15c, and my what an improvement, providing there is the room for the 15. I like the transportability of the 550, but when it comes to dozing, my what a difference.

  23. #23pafarmer2015-02-26 17:47

    Looks fantastic. Great work. Most of the ponds I have built in my neck of the woods require a pipe to manage the spring feed ponds. Control growth and wash out over the spill way or overflow...top soil pushed back in order for grass to be planted and actually grow. Well done. Looks like a professional job by my standards....

  24. #24DirtBrown2015-03-01 21:50

    Sucks. haha JUST KIDDING. I yelled WOW! and woke up my 14mo. old. looks really nice, good job ksessions.

  25. #25Landclearer2015-03-01 21:59

    Nothing to critique. Turned out great. The owner should be very pleased!

  26. #26ksessions2015-03-02 07:47

    Hahaha DirtBrown. Thanks guys! As much rain as we've been getting I should be able to send a pic of it full pretty soon.

  27. #27caterpillarmech2015-03-03 05:56

    Nice looking work. Got to respect an operator that can keep a site that clean.

  28. #28Garrie Denny2015-03-07 01:52

    Landclearer, he probably will be depending on 2 things Rain to fill it and and a by-wash that holds.