Hey all, first post here. I have Cat D7 Dozer (1972 and rebuilt in 2019) with a transmission issue. It goes in reverse 3 gears just fine, when I put it in forward, it also reverses. Forward 1, 2, and 3 act just like reverse 1, 2, and 3 so I cannot go foward at all. Neutral is still neutral. I'm pretty mechanical but not much experience with heavy equipment. Any suggestions where to start?
check all your linkage and bushings on transmission you are not getting enough travel to allow spool to shift
Did this happen suddenly or did it get worse over time until you arrived at the situation you are in now.? Does the movement of the shift lever feel “normal”, especially when shifting across the gate from F to R and vice versa.? Have you had the floor plates up yet to inspect the shift linkage.? Post a Serial Number and just in case it gets to that point do you have a couple of 500psi pressure gauges.?
Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. I took Dave's advice and started dogging for linkages. When I took the seat off it was clear that there was a broken linkage. The 1/2/3 gear linkage was good and forward/reverse linkage was broken so it was sitting in reverse. The military had welded the swivel bushing in one side but didn't hold up. I picked up a couple new swivel bushings, cut the old one off that was still on and threaded the hollow linkage rod to fit the new bushings. I was happy to see it was a $15 project! Thanks for the help.