Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to tighten the brakes on a D8K

Boogie ยท 2024-09-27 20:52

My D8K will not turn when I pull the lever unless I apply the brake. How do I adjust the brake to correct the problem?

Replies1
  1. #1Check Break2024-09-28 00:05

    Sounds like your brakes work just fine. The K differs from the H in that when you pull the turning stick up to about the half way point, the steering clutch releases. When you pull the stick all the way out, the brake also applies. You can just step on the brake after the steering clutch releases and accomplish the same thing. The turning stick on an H only releases the steering clutch. You need to step on the brake if you want to stop the track and execute a hard turn. When the K came out, operators were used to the H's configuration so CAT designed the K steering sticks such that you could set them up like a H. Maybe someone set your K up so that the steering sticks only release the steering clutch. I prefer the H configuration so I don't feel your pain. Check out your linkage all the way to the brake covers to see how you're linkage is configured. I'd have to be looking at one to tell you what to look for as this is all I remember. Perhaps Bad Bob will chime in with the update.