Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d7 with gasoline starter

caterik · 2016-12-31 14:26

Hello everyone, does anyone know the type of dozer and the year of production on the pictures and how heavy it is? I think it is D7 1960-1970 but I'm not sure, it is 4cyl engine. Dozer has a gasoline starter. I'm interested to know the weight because I will pay it by it's weight. Thanks, Erik

Replies24
  1. #1Old Magnet2016-12-31 16:52

    That's a D7 48A model Bare tractor weight with pony start 32,590 lbs 7S blade 5,780 lbs plus add for tilt cylinder Ripper, no shanks about 5,300 lbs I don't have a weight for the cab?? Produced 1961-1970. Would need a s/n to identify actual year.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2016-12-31 22:22

    Are you buying it to scrap it. Should be a decent amount of interest in parts by the collectors in Europe if you are.

  3. #3caterik2017-01-01 05:01

    thanks, that helps a lot Maybe you know how wide blade is? It is without turbo, that means it is 160HP engine I guess? And haw you know it is tractor? (sorry, I m not expert) thanks, Erik

  4. #4caterik2017-01-01 05:04

    something like that, I think I will have to pay around 6000€ + transport

  5. #5oldirt2017-01-01 07:55

    that may not have a turbo but it should. all e models did. early versions were 160, late were 180, could tell more with the serial #. with that ripper it weighs considerably north of 25 tons. also, that ripper looks way bigger than any D7 version.. maybe I am wrong there. except for the intake and exhaust uncovered it looks pretty decent on the outside, but there is a good reason it was parked and abandoned. interesting find! looking closely at imag1241.. it looks like the exhaust comes out right in front of the windshield, and if I remember right that makes it a high horsepower version.. somebody correct me if I am wrong.

  6. #6caterik2017-01-01 11:09

    my mistake, it is turbo engine

  7. #7caterik2017-01-01 11:19

    Dozers are not so popular any more in Europe. This one is abandoned like this 15-20 years.

  8. #8Old Magnet2017-01-01 11:32

    48A6883-up (USA) s/n are 180 hp. 1966-up. Might also be a Japanese built 95Axxxx designation version. More digging shows the 95Axxxx to be 1969-1970 build but only 160 hp. 7S blade width is a hair under 12 ft. I missed the one shank ripper in my first pass, add another 400 lbs.

  9. #9caterik2017-01-01 11:49

    Some they have gasoline starter, other they have electric starter, haw that? It depends of year of production?

  10. #10Ronsii2017-01-01 12:25

    I am curious what the transport costs will be in Europe, do you have any quotes on what the transport cost will be with loading? The First D8 Cat I bought was in a similar condition(not running) but I got lucky and found a local guy with a 977 nearby to load it on the trailer, it was around 280km trip so 100km longer than trip from Trieste to Slovenia. It cost me 1,200 USD but that was over 25 years ago. Also it had a 12 foot blade so we removed it and put on the rear of trailer so not oversized load.

  11. #11Old Magnet2017-01-01 12:55

    Gasoline start was standard. Direct electric start was an attachment option. There are current conversion starters available that makes it easy to convert to direct electric from pony start.

  12. #12caterik2017-01-03 13:15

    where it have id number? erik

  13. #13Old Magnet2017-01-03 17:12

    S/N Locations

  14. #14caterik2017-01-04 00:06

    Thanks a lot, I will go to check

  15. #15caterik2017-01-13 07:01

    ok, now i have serial number 48A2843 seria E what is this mine?

  16. #16Old Magnet2017-01-13 11:06

    1963 Power Shift, D339T engine, 160 hp.

  17. #17caterik2017-01-18 03:45

    thanks or all answers Erik

  18. #18caterik2017-03-19 12:13

    I made it

  19. #19catman132017-03-19 12:57

    its looks a lot nicer pulled out of the weeds. what are your plans for it ?

  20. #20Welder Dave2017-03-19 13:53

    Looks like a huge load to be pulled by a single axle truck. Looks like a decent machine. Would be curious to know why it was parked. Looks like it would have a lot of good parts.

  21. #21Ronsii2017-03-19 15:02

    Congratulations!!! You will have a great journey getting this machine back up and running There is nothing like the sound of a big cat coming back to life!!!

  22. #22DMiller2017-03-19 17:55

    Wish it had been available HERE as cheap.

  23. #23caterik2017-03-20 02:24

    I just like it, I don't know jet what I will do whit it I will try to start it, but I have to rebuild pony starter first, where can I find rebuilt kit for starter? And I need carburetor to, because it missing?

  24. #24DMiller2017-03-20 12:31

    Once get pony off the main engine do yourself a favor and bar the main engine over at least two full revolutions, if it will not roll completely thru you have other problems. May wish to start on pages as this one for used parts. http://www.machineryzone.eu/used/1/damaged-burned-equipment.html This will likely lead to the closest new parts supply By S/N. http://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/global-footprint/eame/germany.html