Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7D steering brake problem

diesel1234 ยท 2018-10-27 02:15

When i apply the left steering brake pedal, it goes to the floor with no resistance, but when i apply the hand steering clutch pressure comes back to the brake pedal and the d7 will turn, whats happening here, has the brake pedal got some kind of power assist? what can i do to bring life back to the brake pedal?

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2018-10-27 07:48

    More than likely internal leakage and yes they have a hydraulic assist. Applying the clutch redirects oil flow, puts resistance in the feed and raises available pressure/volume.

  2. #2Nige2018-10-27 08:27

    I would suggest to register on Classic Machinery Network and get in contact with tctractors. He used to post on HEF, if you search you'll find some of his musings. I know he's in Worcestershire which isn't next door to you but if you see the post below he is usually good at coming up with solutions for issues with machinery such as your D7D. http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285 HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3Bluox2018-10-27 09:46

    If you have a 17A machine your brakes are straight manual no booster. Your steering clutches are power assisted are not connected to brakes. I suggest you adjust brakes. Good luck Bob

  4. #4grandpa2018-10-27 10:14

    There are two access covers to the brake compartment. The big cover under the fuel tank and a small inspection cover on the back of the case. There is also a bolt that comes up from the bottom of the case to adjust so it holds the band close to the drum.

  5. #5Old Magnet2018-10-27 12:02

    Not a good sign. I'd be checking for lateral movement of cross shaft.

  6. #6Puffie402018-10-29 15:14

    The power booster for the steering is under the fuel tank- a fill plug pokes out the back for it. I suspect this may leak a fair bit because the one on our D7C was always empty. I agree that you should take the seat/tank off, pop the inspection covers, and take a look. Something does not sound right.