Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7E 47A Direct Drive

durknp ยท 2014-08-31 11:25

Hi. This is my first post to the forum and I have got a silly question for you all. Well some might find it silly, hopefully i wont take too much abuse haha. Right here we go. How do I operate the machine as in the title. I have used a poweshift model before but have to go and check out a direct drive version. Do you have to be stationary to change direction and speed? What is the long lever that sits to your left for coming out of the floor? the steer clutches come out of the dash infront of you if that makes any difference. Many thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Scrub Puller2014-08-31 12:18

    Yair . . . durknp . I may have run one some where along the way but don't remember the details of the transmission . . . folks on here will set me straight if I tell you bull$hite. That style mostly had two shift levers, one to select the gear and the other a straight line forward/reverse selector. The lever "coming out of the floor to your left" will be the master clutch which will be "pull to engage" and should go over centre with a distinct "snap". You should never run tractor with it feeling loose and the adjustment pressure (measured at the hand-grip) will be listed in the manual and probably will be 50/60 pounds. The clutch should be engaged any time the engine is running . . . that is to say if you stop work for any reason the transmission should be neutralised and the clutch reengaged. No different to the clutch in your truck. You must definitely have to stop to change direction although it will become a very quick reflex action. As for speed (say) when scooping it may be possible to go up through the box. We used to do it on the Allis HD16s but it may be harder in the Cat. You will find the stickshift a sweet responsive tractor (especially with the steering) compared to a doughy power shift . . . don't forget that you can stall it. Cheers.

  2. #2durknp2014-08-31 13:29

    Thanks so much for your reply. I figured it may be that. For some reason I thought it could of been a decelerator. The manual has long gone for this machine so wasn't too sure what was what. I shall have a go and get back to you if I have any further difficulty. Thanks again.

  3. #3OCR2014-08-31 19:12

    Also known as a Johnson bar ... Yup, but you got it right... 100% ... OCR

  4. #4Scrub Puller2014-09-01 03:23

    Yair . . . OCR . That's what I like about this site . . . a bloke never stops learning. I honestly never knew the forward/reverse was referred to as a "Johnson bar" in the US. I don't ever recall the term being used here in Australia in regards to tractors although I do associate it with steam locomotives and winding engines. Thanks for the heads-up. durknp . I think there should be a decel there, usually operated with the right foot. On some tractors they used to weld extensions to the brake pedals so you could press them both with one boot . . . for some reason Cat. left too big a gap and blokes would tend to favour one brake for stopping leading to uneven wear. Cheers.

  5. #5durknp2014-09-01 04:40

    I had heard that term but only on oil rigs where the driller would heave on the Johnson to pull the pipe spanners round. Oh one more thing. I noticed a lever that was mounted on the "firewall" behind the brake pedals and slightly to the right. It wasn't within easy reach of the seat and kind of flipped from left to right. Is that a relic from the pony engine?

  6. #6Scrub Puller2014-09-01 05:51

    Yair . . . durknp You got me there, it has been so long . . . decompressor maybe? OCR will know. Cheers.

  7. #7ben46a2014-09-01 06:42

    Yup that's the decompression lever by the sounds of it.

  8. #8pf/l2014-09-01 10:52

    Would agree on the decompression leaver. Helps with cold starts with electric start even. Interesting to see some of the different so called Johnson bars. Only ever called them that on std. cats here. Course I guess that's the only area I've been around too. Never been around rail lines or oil field work. Always wondered where the term came from and why know I know.