Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d7e 48A leaking engine oil into final drives ?

bigrich954rr · 2019-12-11 20:19

I was looking at a dozer d7e. SN is 48A some thing . Was upgraded to a hydraulic tilt and lift blade . Has ROPS installed . Guys seem honest . it’s a 3 speed. Shuttle Torque converter. He says it is leaking engine into the final drives pretty fast. Any ideas what it could be ? How hard to fix ? About what would you pay ?

Replies9
  1. #1Check Break2019-12-12 02:26

    It has a torque converter and 3 speed powershift transmission. Engine oil would have to be passing into the T/C or transmission and then through the pinion seal(s) in order to get into the final drives. Not impossible but kind of out there. Pull the fill plug on both finals and see if oil erupts therefrom. If not, then there's no oil passing into the finals. If there is, take a sample and figure out if it's engine oil. It will be very black from carbon if there's engine oil in there.

  2. #2MattR2019-12-12 05:22

    Pinion seals from the steering clutch housings. A pretty big job, but far from impossible.

  3. #3bigrich954rr2019-12-12 11:42

    So if it’s the pinion seals does the trans and engine share the same oil ? . I’ve seen threads where people say just run it with the leaking pinion seals till there is another reason. To dig into it and just let the finales fill up thoughts on this ?

  4. #4bigrich954rr2019-12-12 19:13

    Ok thanks for some more info I plan to go back and check it out more later and dig into it more before I make a offer on it

  5. #5Check Break2019-12-12 21:20

    So if it’s the pinion seals does the trans and engine share the same oil ? No. But when they do, you know you have a problem. Oil can pass by the rear main seal into the T/C. It may also be able to get into your transmission pump due to a failed seal. We have a 48A but it's been too long since I considered that situation. I’ve seen threads where people say just run it with the leaking pinion seals till there is another reason. To dig into it and just let the finales fill up thoughts on this ? For a day, a week, until the end of the job, ok, but not as part of your business plan. I've violated my own rule but it kind of depends upon how much oil is passing the duo cone. If it takes 40 hours to pass a gallon or you're not working sidehill and the rate is slow, it's your call. If your brakes are bad or your clutches worn, you'll need to get in there anyway. Do the pinion seal at the same time.

  6. #6bigrich954rr2019-12-12 22:12

    Ok thank you for your help. I’m going to have to think hard before I jump on this I might be better off getting a new one with a small loan . I just hard loans

  7. #7Bluox2019-12-12 23:43

    It's usually not just the pinion seal leaking it's a loose flange or the pinion bearings went south ,the steering clutches and or the finals have to come out. The engine oil is another expensive fix. Bob

  8. #856wrench2019-12-13 01:06

    some older machines may have a regular lip seal for the upper pinions like my 46a has. the parts manual for your serial number should show which type unless someone has retrofitted duo-cone seals to a machine that previously had lip seals. my parts book for my 46a shows a field-installed duo-cone retrofit so maybe a 48a has a similar kit that someone has installed. if your final drives are run over-filled(full) it is harder for the sprocket seals to do their job and they will fail prematurely and that is a lot bigger job than replacing the upper pinion seals

  9. #9bigrich954rr2019-12-13 17:42

    Ok you guys are a life saver I’m going to drop a low offer and if I get it ok if not no biggie cause it sounds like it might be more work then it’s worth to fix’s . there also a nice d8k for sale that I’ve been keeping a eye on that I’m thinking might be a better deal