Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d7e (48axxx) front idler disassembly

Preppypyro ยท 2016-08-19 10:05

Hey guys, I have a late model d7e (48axxx) and I had a front bearing (I believe) bust out on me in the front idler. I do have a post up on acmoc regarding it http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?25398-D7E-Front-Idler-Issues Anyways I have taken apart a few things and Im trying to see if I can replace the bearing without splitting the track. I have it to this point And I cant seem to budge that "block" that is around the shaft. Im just looking for clarification if I may be able to remove that block, and replace whatever is broken at the point I am at now, or if I would still need to split the tracks. I dont have anything taken apart on the inside of the idler either, just on the outside. Any help or advice is appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1dirthog2016-08-19 10:52

    You will have to split the tracks that block is pressed on and not sure but that idler could have bushings in also.

  2. #2Preppypyro2016-08-19 11:13

    Not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know which direction I am heading in now haha, thank you sir!

  3. #3Nige2016-08-19 11:48

    Second that. You need to split the tracks and remove the idler as a complete assembly before you can start to disassemble it.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2016-08-19 15:42

    Yair . . . Preppypyro. The folks over at ACMOC set you pretty straight on this one. It won't be any different here . . . things are what they are. You should not need to remove the "C" frame but it must be chained up and made safe. Cheers.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-08-19 17:34

    If nobody mentioned it there's a tapered pin that locks that block on, goes in the hole on one side, has a bolt to draw it tight on the other end. But yeah, you gotta take the idler out to do that job.