Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7E fuel tank holes

MattR ยท 2012-12-29 10:45

Hi, anyone know what the 2 big holes passing through the fuel tank on our old D7E were for? It's not a home job. It's factory. 2 through pipe holes from about 3" or so in diamater. welded on both end where it come out of the tank. For mounting that tank on another machine application? It doesn't really matter. It has just been driving our operators and myself nuts trying to figure it out. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1DPete2012-12-29 11:03

    They are for #29 cable control linkage rods if equiped

  2. #2DPete2012-12-29 11:24

    Pic worth 1000 words, nice D7 by the way who's ever it is

  3. #3MattR2012-12-29 11:51

    Thanks alot. I see now. Kind of a goofy question I guess, but it has been driving us nuts. Thanks,and yes what a nice d7 here. Matt

  4. #4d4c24a2012-12-29 15:41

    thats a UK machine , belongs to Russell Seywell the operator is Steve Kitchen to the best of my knowledge

  5. #5Greg2012-12-30 23:02

    D7E is one heck of a tractor. That one must still have the pony motor on it as it has the old 12 volt generator and enough shifting levers to make it a direct drive. I have one with power shift, full hydraulic on the blade and converted it to direct electric and 24 volts.

  6. #6Bob/Ont2012-12-31 11:46

    Greg, there were many 24 volt generators on them too. That one likely has a starting engine as the decompression lever is still on it. Later Bob

  7. #7Old Magnet2012-12-31 12:53

    You can see the pony motor and 12v would be standard. Direct electric start 24v became an attachment option with s/n 48A6883.

  8. #8Greg2013-01-01 10:25

    I left the decompression on mine when I converted to direct electric. The photo is a bit small but I can't make out an exhaust stack for the pony motor which would be coming through the hood in front of the exhaust stack for the Diesel engine towards the front and on the left side.

  9. #9Old Magnet2013-01-01 20:36

    Hi Greg, Agree it's not the best picture for identification....had to blow it up to check but appears to be a short stub stack in the proper location (forward of the air cleaner inlet). Which starter did you use?

  10. #10Greg2013-01-02 00:06

    I didn't blow it up to check. Will take your word for it. I used a Delco 24 volt. It has a special drive to accommodate the ring gear associated with the pony motor and gear drive set up. Replaced the 12 volt generator with a Delco 24 volt alternator and added two (2) Interstate size 4D batteries hooked in series to get 24 volts. Did not add the glow plugs which would have been best. Instead a small puff of starting fluid and she starts first couple of times over. THen she is good for all day.

  11. #11Old Magnet2013-01-02 14:55

    Greg, I was wondering about the starter model number....40MT?, 42MT?, or 50MT version?