Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d7e generator belt

left thread ยท 2014-08-09 10:21

I am working on a Cat D7e 48a dozer . The generator belt broke and I got one from the cat dealer # 5m-8135 . The problem is I can't get it over the fan . I have tried every which way , inside out but to no success . I called the dealer up and double checked on the part and they say it is right. But it is short , unless you have to take the fan off ( which looks like a monster job) . anyway the belt is 1/2 x 51.5" long . any thoughts? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2014-08-09 10:39

    Usually this style of alternator drive uses a belt that is so short that the fan has to come off to install it - of course you don't realize it when the old when breaks because it removes itself. That may well be the case here, as you already suspect.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2014-08-09 17:34

    Yair . . . A classic application for these . . . http://www.fennerdrives.com/product-lines/hpc-v-belts/ I do use them, they do work, they are not an "emergency repair", machines are built around them . . . that is to say the machine is built with no provision for conventional belts. Fenner quite rightly promote them as an upgrade. Cheers.

  3. #3hseII2014-08-09 19:44

    OP, Have you experienced the Trans/ TC overheating?