Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Getting sore ears from ear plugs

Plant Fitter ยท 2014-08-09 08:41

I operate a dozer without any noiseproofing in its cabin. Not full time, but sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time. I wear ear plugs, but after the first couple of days they make my ears hurt. I sometimes swap for earmuffs, but for machinery noise I think that earplugs do a better job. Plus with earplugs you can still wear a decent hat. I know the best solution is to get a machine with a sound dampened cabin, but that is not going to happen. I have found that putting some lip cream or vaseline on them before putting them in helps a bit, but not really enough. The earplugs I use are "Uvex x-fit" and are by far the softest I have ever used. But still not soft enough. Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions?

Replies10
  1. #1oceanobob2014-08-09 09:45

    We suggest the ear plugs fit snugly and encourage the folks use ones similar to Leight QD-1-RC which is the only one I know of that has a inner core. Those foam style plugs that need some crushing with dirty finger tips is a worry about transferring dirt into the outer portion of the ear since the ones I mentioned don't require "crushing". There are many different ear sizes so you will have to try others. Sometimes we use plugs and muffs like when we helping a crew drill foundation excavations while they used a rig with something called a Kelly bar, we thought it hurt the ears w/o the protection and they wore none and said they were used to it.

  2. #2Graham12014-08-09 09:57

    Hi, I used to have the same problem. Same with in music ear buds. It would appear I have small ear holes! I over came this by changing to the flanged type of ear plugs, such as http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/airsoft . Some specialist online shops will sell you a sample set of different ones to see what suits you best. With regards overall noise, I know people who shoot a lot indoors and they wear plugs and defenders at the same time. Good luck. Graham

  3. #3kanewolf2014-08-09 10:05

    Go to an audiologist (hearing center) and have casts made of your ears. Get a pair of custom fitted hearing protection ear plugs.

  4. #4Labparamour2014-08-09 10:44

    Same issue here. I found the best for comfort were the cylindrical foam plugs (look like a cigarette filter) but are a pain to pop out and replace. I went to banded plugs as there are a dream to keep handy and pop on but I dont think they are as effective as the first I mentioned. Muffs are sweaty but, for me, provide the most comfort for extended wear. Even muffs get old by the end of the day- more when wearing sunglasses or eye protection putting extra pressure against your temples. I tried a do-it-yourself moldable ear plug kit and wasn't impressed. I feel muffs are less a hygiene issue.

  5. #5Nige2014-08-09 10:48

    This is a problem that has plagued bike riders for years because of wind noise. Get yourself round to your local motorcycle dealers and ask who they recommend in your area that makes custom bespoke ear plugs designed specifically for your ears. I'll warn you now they will not be cheap.

  6. #6FarmWrench2014-08-09 12:25

    Gemplers has a two part mix and make your own custom fit earplugs. Have hands and ears spotless clean first as it will lift ANY dirt or oil and stain when you mix and fit. After they set up they wash up good. The only set of muffs I like are attached to my chain saw helmet.

  7. #7lantraxco2014-08-09 12:36

    I use these when riding motorcycle on long trips: http://www.macksearplugs.com/products/pillow-soft-earplugs-2-pair-beige They take some getting used to but they work and they're the most comfortable thing I've ever used. Around the shop it's earmuffs only, can't stand ear plugs of any type.

  8. #8D6c10K2014-08-09 20:31

    I use a set of custom molded plugs like this: http://www.westone.com/defendear/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=7&Itemid=112 Very comfortable and effective on noise....will last several years.

  9. #9hmearth2014-08-10 07:12

    Ear plugs are a painful thing to use I went for years trying different types and found one brand called Spark plugs there multi coloured and slim I find there the best so far but there is still days I for go them

  10. #10kshansen2014-08-10 09:43

    I'll second the macks, I refer to them as Gummy Bear Ear plugs. I buy them in a box of a dozen at the drug store. Why is it after I put them in and slip on the full face helmet at the gas station someone has to come over and try asking me questions about my sidecar?