Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d7f

fletty · 2022-07-13 08:14

Hi guys I recently bought a cat d7f dozer. I can't seem to find any parts manuals for it. Does anyone have or know of any forsale. Serial number is 92E1760 Thanks Ryan

Replies32
  1. #1Nige2022-07-13 08:52

    Here are the Cat Publication references for 92E1760. Parts - XMBP9774 ($115) Maintenance - SEBU6550 ($28). This only covers basic maintenance tasks. It is NOT a service/repair manual. Both the above can be downloaded from the Cat Publications web site, or you might be lucky and find used paper copies somewhere for sale online. The prices in brackets above are for a download.

  2. #2d9gdon2022-07-13 12:54

    You can find them used on Ebay too.

  3. #3Nige2022-07-13 13:08

    I agree but believe it or not but I looked and couldn't find either one up for sale right now. One place I did find the O&M was scribd.com but you would have to sign up for a 30-day free trial in order to be able to download the document.

  4. #4epirbalex2022-07-13 18:46

    https://www.tractorbooks.co.nz/ I've bought several off this company for various machines . You may need your serial number as the transmissions change about 5100 up

  5. #5fletty2022-07-14 01:58

    Yeh thanks for the info guys. I've been keeping an eye on ebay but could only find 94n or operators manuals. I'll check out those other websites cheers

  6. #6Bluox2022-07-14 11:01

    The 94N books should work for your 92E tractor. 94N US built 92E Japan built. Bob

  7. #7fletty2022-07-16 07:46

    I looked at the cat publication site and it stops at 1751. Mines 1760. Possibly when the trans got changed. Is the only difference between the 92e and 94n where they are built? Is everything else the same? Thanks

  8. #8Nige2022-07-16 08:13

    Old Magnet might have access to that info. If he doesn’t pitch in then try sending him a PM.

  9. #9Bluox2022-07-16 10:20

    Cat says they are equivalent machines. I think the 92Es all came with the same transmissions. Bob

  10. #10.RC.2022-07-16 17:21

    The 92E were the same as the 94N. Started out with the old D333C engine and old transmission, then changed later on.

  11. #11OzDozer2022-07-18 00:13

    94N books won't work for 92E machines, Bluox doesn't know what he's talking about. Buy the correct Parts Catalog for your precise S/N, that way you are guaranteed to get all the correct parts information. There are a vast number of engineering changes over the life of the D7F tractors, and many engineering changes were also dependent on where the tractor was built. The early D7F transmission has an arrangement number of 9S5250 - this is a physically large transmission, carried over from the D7E. This transmission is a low-speed, high-torque transmission, and it's not a particularly reliable transmission. The 9S5250 was fitted to tractors 92E0001 to 92E1751 and 94N0001 to 94N5659. This transmission had many modifications over its life to try and improve its reliability, so engineering (and therefore parts) changes happened to it regularly. At 92E1752 and 94N5660, the transmission system was extensively altered to accommodate the 2P3670 transmission arrangement. This is the much physically smaller transmission from the then-current D6C. Despite being a physically smaller transmission, this 2P3670 transmission is a much better design transmission, and it runs at a higher speed and lower torque than the earlier 9S5250 transmission arrangement. The increased operational speed of the 2P3670 transmission comes about because the transfer gears on the rear of the transmission were altered in size to allow the 2P3670 transmission to run at higher speed. I owned 2 x new D6C's from 1965 and 3 x new D7F's from 1971. I put around 15,000 to 18,000 hrs on all of them. I've forgotten 10 times more than I know about them today, this is the joys of old age. The early D7F was full of problems, they were gradually improved by Cat, and the later model transmission was the main reason for a major increase in reliability. The later model D7F (from about late 1972) also gained a big (factory) counterweight under the radiator, this made a big difference in tractor balance for pushing up slopes.

  12. #12fletty2022-07-18 06:23

    Thanks Oz dozer. I guess I'll just have to keep looking and hopefully one will pop up one day.

  13. #13Bluox2022-07-18 11:16

    Here's what I know for sure. I have never seen a 93E machine. I have worked on a bunch of 94N machines. 92E Japan built but it doesn't show up in cat performance book so may be only for Japan market. That would mean Cat books would be printed in Japanese. Cat says 92E and 94N are equivalent machines that means the same. My D7F service book is for 91E 92E 93N 94N . Looking in T&A transmission book 92E-UP 94N1-94N5659 first book. 94N-5660 UP second book both published 1973. So my guess would be any 94N parts book below 5660 would work for early transmission and above 5660 would work for later transmission. Bob

  14. #14OzDozer2022-07-18 20:05

    The 92E was sold in the Southern Hemisphere, English-speaking nations, such as Australia and NZ, and the 92E parts catalog is readily available in English. I owned 2 x 92E series D7F's and 1 x 94N D7F. There are three substantial changes to the D7F transmission design and engineering just between 94N5192 and 94N5660, so Bluox is still talking out his ass. One of the engineering changes was the fitment of a transmission modulating valve, which the early transmissions did not have. The modulation valve drops the transmission clutch pressure momentarily between gear changes to take the transmission shock out of full throttle gear changes. Get the parts catalog for your exact S/No, unless you want a world of frustration with wrong parts ordering.

  15. #15wayne.d72022-07-19 22:30

    My exact predicament Ozdozer I have a D7F 92E 0657 needs a turbo 94N 0657 turbocharger replacement part no is 9S 8997 will this fit the 92E 0657 would be great if someone could confirm this either way for me as I will have to import one so have to get it right

  16. #16DB22022-07-19 23:36

    Good thread. We had a Japanese sourced 950 73J series and the wiring was completely different than the American built 31K series. That’s all I have to offer.

  17. #17OzDozer2022-07-20 00:43

    Wayne.D7 - I'm sorry, I don't have a parts catalogue for the early D7F, I only have the parts catalogue for 92E1752-up, which was the changeover point where the 3306 engine gained a separate S/No and Engine arrangement number. Have you tried contacting the turbocharger seller to see if the 9S8997 turbocharger is correct fit for your machine? There were a number of turbocharger part number changes that I can see, between the first D7F and the D7G, but I'm not sure now, what those engineering changes involved. DB2 - That's right, the Japanese Cats were built by Shin-Caterpillar-Mitsubishi, a joint venture deal between the main Cat dealer in Japan, Shin Caterpillar, and the Mitsubishi company, and Caterpillar USA. As a result, all the electrics on Japanese machines are Mitsubishi. They were copies of Delco-Remy equipment, but not necessarily the same. However, the largest proportion of the components, such as starter and alternator could be interchanged with Delco-Remy products. The wiring could certainly be different to the U.S.-built Cats.

  18. #18Nige2022-07-20 03:32

    The only thing I can suggest is to look at the link I posted for a Parts Manual reference XMBP9774 further up the thread. That is for machines with S/N up to 92E1751 which would include yours. If you go to the Cat Publications web site you could buy a copy. Not an ideal solution but it would remove all doubt as to the correct P/N for your turbo. If that is a paper manual what is the reference number on the front cover.?

  19. #19OzDozer2022-07-20 05:05

    Nige, the reference number is not on the front cover, the parts catalogue has "Form UMX04015" on the back cover, and the publication is a revision, and it was printed in Japan on 4/75. This catalogue states on the front cover, it contains no engine information, and the reader is referred to the index, where it says.... "This tractor is equipped with a 3306 engine. For engine parts information use the parts book for 3306 engine, S/No 44V1-up. The S/No on the engine block provides specific engine identity".

  20. #20Nige2022-07-20 05:30

    So that is the Publication Reference. Unfortunately it does not appear on the CP web site, but now at least we know what we're looking for. My next suggestion for the OP regarding S/N 92E1760 would be to join the ACMOC forum and ask around the members. I know they have a library of manuals for older Caterpillar models, they might just have this one. Worth a try anyway.

  21. #21Bluox2022-07-20 10:32

    Seeing as how your tractor and parts book is around 50 years old, The best way to identify your turbo would be by the tag on the cartridge. Should have the part number and the manufactures name on it. Bob

  22. #22Bluox2022-07-20 10:40

    The 31K is a Canada built machine. The 81J is US built and the43J is Belgium built. The 73J, 31K ,43J and 81J are equivalent machines. Bob

  23. #23OzDozer2022-07-22 04:48

    Wayne.D7 - I have been poring over the turbocharger part numbers for the earlier D7F's. As I said previously, I don't currently have a parts catalogue for D7F 92E0001 - 92E1751 - but I have managed to acquire one, however it will be at least a fortnight before I receive it. In the meantime, I pulled out my Cat NPR (Numerical Parts Record) which I have on fiche. This is the "Bible" of Cat part number records and fitment. Unfortunately, my NPR is an old version and runs from WW2 and it ends at Oct 1988. It is handy for checking for early Cat equipment P/No's. Checking out "9S8997" part number for that turbocharger group, the NPR tells me it was fitted to the following tractor S/No ranges .... 92E0001 - 92E1751 94N0001 - 94N1779 94N2074 - 94N2076 94N2078 - up There is a slightly different design turbocharger, P/No 1P6933, which was fitted to the following tractors .... 94N1780 - 94N2073 94N2077 I can't be sure on what the engineering changes were in the above, but it appears Cat may have swapped turbocharger suppliers, or did some minor engineering redesigning on the turbochargers. 9S8997 turbocharger contains two extra plates or clamps that 1P6933 doesn't have, that appear to offer more support to the turbocharger housing. There are other minor component changes between the two different turbochargers, but the good news is, it appears that 9S8997 is not only the original fit to your 92E0657 tractor, but it's also the commonly-available replacement turbocharger for the D7F today.

  24. #24wayne.d72022-07-22 05:31

    Thanks very much Ozdozer I appreciate the time and effort you have given on this head scratcher I found out from Cat today what you say is correct that 9S8997 is the right part number My other D7F 92E2407 turbocharger has slightly different look about it this is what had me a bit cautious about it all I’ve owned these two D7Fs for 25-30 years and never been stumped like this before crazy how there are so many of the 92Es around and the parts manual are like hens teeth great to know you have found a manual I will definitely put you in my memory bank for later Thanks again

  25. #25Nige2022-07-22 05:45

    This would be somewhat expected with two machines one being above and the other below the Serial Number break at 92E1751. That may be true in your part of the World with the 92E being manufactured in Japan, but I would suspect not in other parts. In Europe or North America the tractor would most likely be a US-built 94N. If you want a Parts Manual covering Serial Numbers 92E1-1751 it is available to download from the web, or to buy in CD or in paper form. The strange thing is that the equivalent parts manual for machines 92E1752-Up appears to be a unicorn.

  26. #26fletty2022-07-22 06:32

    Hey guys I'm in talks with the cat publication ppls via email about parts manuals for 92e1751 and up. They have raised it with senior parts experts apparently and are gonna get back to me. Hopefully have a better update soon. Cheers

  27. #27OzDozer2022-07-22 07:43

    Fletty, the parts catalogue for 92E1752-up was produced by the Service Engineering Publications division of Caterpillar Mitsubishi Ltd. In the intervening decades this division may have been taken over by some other Dept - or worse, the publication records were scrapped at a set time. I know the Japanese vehicle manufacturers scrap everything at 40 years from the date of first production. When I say everything, I mean everything. At that 40 year time interval, the Japanese send all factory blueprints, parts and service manuals to the shredder, then they go through the parts warehouse, and any remaining NOS parts that pertain to that 40 yr old model, are sent to the scrapyards. It's like they don't want any record of that vehicles or machines existence left.

  28. #28fletty2022-07-22 07:56

    Wow That kinda sucks a bit.

  29. #29OzDozer2022-07-22 08:58

    Fletty, if you can't find a parts catalogue for your 92E1760 tractor anywhere, send me a PM and I will make up a PDF file of the one I have, for you. It will cost you a few bucks for my time, but nothing like Cat charge. It's not a big book, it's just under 100 pages. I guess you know you need the engine information parts catalogue as well.

  30. #30fletty2022-07-22 09:14

    Thanks Oz dozer I'll let you know how I get on. The motor in this dozer has been up dated to a spacer plate motor and apparently been rebuilt. So hopefully won't need much for that. Lol

  31. #31Bluox2022-07-22 11:08

    This what I meant by the tractor being 50 years old. old parts books will not be of much help in this case. Cat parts people may be able to find out with the engine serial number or if it is a dealer rebuild it will have a rebuilt number on it. Check the turbo cold housing and the cartage for a model tag. Seems I might have been right about 92E and the 94N being equivalent tractors. Personal attack deleted. Bob

  32. #32nicky 68a2022-07-23 03:34

    Here in the UK D7’s weren’t as popular as as D6’s and D8’s for some reason. As a hirer,I never bothered buying one as the rates were either a D6 rate or a D8 rate with not much in between. However,from a contracting point of view I could see the advantages of the D7. I’ve seen a handful of very reliable D7E’s working over the years and a few D7G’s,yet never a single D7F. Currently I can think of 2 of the modern D7E’s working and one brand new D7. We’ll see if they catch on