1979 Cat D7G serial number 92V11662. Based upon an old post on this site I am trying to remove the governor housing to replace the inner seal in governor body to stop fuel leak at throttle shaft. Removed dash pot off back of governor housing, removed all the bolts from the back of the governor housing. But I am unable to remove the governor housing, housing is loose and moves about an 1/8 of an inch but wont come off the injection pump. Is there any bolts coming from the front side of the governor housing that need to be removed? Have heard that there could be a bolt that the head breaks off when torqued to prevent governor housing from being removed? Is that true?
I’ve been thinking about this and I can’t think of a good reason why the gov housing is giving you fits. It’s pretty straightforward.
Is there supposed to be a e-clip in this groove, or did the seal down in the pocket wear this groove in the shaft. I feel the seal was hanging on this groove making it difficult to remove governor housing. Is there a bearing in the governor shaft pocket with the seal, that could have locked up causing the groove in the shaft? Any help will be appreciated.
Interesting. That groove is not supposed to be there on the flyweight shaft. I don’t recall ever seeing the seal eat one up like that. Explains why the housing was difficult to remove.
Removed governor housing and replaced outer and inner seals gor throttle shaft, also replaced two smaller seals and bearing for governor flyweight shaft. Reinstalled governor housing, primed injection pump with primer pump. Engine runs fine but now leaks at throttle shaft cover bottom gasket area. My question is I was told that this should be a dry cavity right behind throttle shift cover but it leaks fuel with the engine running st bottom of cover. Gasket has also been replaced for this cover.
I don’t believe it’s dry. Diesel is used to lubricate the 4N448 lever assembly.
Don't know on a D7G but on a D3B and other 3204's there's enough room to put 2 seals for the throttle shaft in the cover. Learned that from Bob/Ont.
Yes,cavity between the seals should be dry. What's the condition of the shaft? If grooved it will not seal.