Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D7g no hydraulics

Bullcat ยท 2013-10-14 22:00

I ran this dozer last week, it worked great. I went to move it today and the blade and tilt do nothing when I move control. Checked oil level, checked to see if oil running out some where, checked control linkages, all ok. Did the pump go out suddenly, shear a shaft in pump, drive gear fall off. Or is there a problem in the tank or control valves. Not sure where to diagnose or start looking. From my book it looks to have a vein pump. Anybody ever have this happen or any advise. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Bob/Ont2013-10-14 22:24

    There should be a test port at the pump outlet. Not sure about your machine but if it has a hyd tank that is split in the center vertically it will have manual blade lift and pilot tilt and ripper control. They also have a pressure reducing valve for pilot pressure I think. These machines never gave much trouble so don't know much. Later Bob

  2. #2Bluox2013-10-14 22:28

    Bullcat, Pull the right floor plate up.On top of pump is a fitting with a 9/16 test plug,remove plug and crank engine.If no oil comes out check pump. Bob

  3. #3Bullcat2013-10-14 23:11

    Oh yes. Sometimes I get a mechanics mental block. Will pull tbe plug and check tomorrow.

  4. #4Bullcat2013-10-15 18:59

    Ok, this was od, I pulled the plug on the suction side of pump and no oil was present at first as if it had an air lock, then oil came and replaced plug. Pulled plug on pressure side and same thing, then replaced plug. Started tractor and had good hydralics as before. So I feel lucky. But its bugging me what may have caused this, and will it happen again. What caused this pump to get air locked? Could I have a leak on the suction side and when tractor cools and sits it sucks air in pump? Tank vent plugged? Any thoughts?

  5. #5Bluox2013-10-15 20:21

    Pull the filter and see whats in it. Bob

  6. #6Old Magnet2013-10-15 20:51

    If that's a 173B hydraulic control s/n 59P1-Up (same as D7F) check the coupling in the suction line to the pump and also could be a leaking pump seal.