Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d8k muffler

fiat41b ยท 2016-11-18 19:13

Am I missing something I have recently seen some videos and pics of some d8k's and d9h's with what appears to be stainless mufflers the late model types that sit horizontal where would one look to find one going to need one for the 8k before long mine is rusted out.

Replies10
  1. #1Buckethead2016-11-18 19:42

    Some of the nicest days I had at work were running a D8K with a straight pipe. The owner's logic was that D8Hs ran great without a muffler, D8K was just a newer series of H, so why replace the muffler? I don't think the neighborhood near the job liked it too much, lol.

  2. #2RZucker2016-11-19 00:03

    As a kid, I spent many an hour on D-8Hs and D-9Gs. Loved the sound, mostly a pleasant grumble with some turbo whine.

  3. #3PWR2016-11-22 22:09

    Music to my ears. D8K with straight pipe. Sounds like a freight train.

  4. #4dozer122162016-11-26 16:32

    I can remember people hunting down the location of sound from my old D8H. Backing up a steep incline, the sound rumbled through the valley for more the 5 miles. That is how far trucks drove from to locate. Then I backed over a Dodge Pickup my brother parked inappropriately. They saw from road (over a mile away) and came investigating again.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2016-11-26 19:43

    Yair . . . . Just writing a fiction story now about that sound. No muffler on an H and two of them under load pulling scrub could develop a droning unsynchronised wah wah wah harmonic that on a frosty morning could carry for miles. Cheers.

  6. #6fiat41b2016-11-26 23:29

    Well I got a good laugh out of that:drinkup

  7. #7grandpa2016-11-28 20:56

    That's no **** there Scrub.... sometimes it got so bad one of us would have to get out of the throttle to break the vibs or your head felt like it was gonna blow!!

  8. #8Scrub Puller2016-11-29 01:59

    Yair . . . Good one grandpa ! I am not alone. I sometimes speak of this phenomenon and people think I'm crazy. Cheers

  9. #9DMiller2016-11-29 06:47

    Been on job sites when that reverb was going on, operators back then would also break throttle once in awhile to break the harmonic!

  10. #10hetkind2016-11-30 10:33

    Due to the dry conditions and wild fire danger, I just put a Donaldson Spark Arrestor on the JD450B, ordered the 3" pipe version, does some sound level reduction, but catches all the soot! Howard