Hi, I have a 1981 Case 850b crawler dozer. It is leaking transmission fluid from the wet side of the torque converter into the dry housing area and out the flywheel dust shield at the bottom of the flywheel housing. I have already replaced 3 seals which are #7, #37 and #38 thinking that would fix it but it didn't. It still leaks through that flywheel dust shield. The leak is pretty significant. When I throttle the engine to a higher RPM for some seconds and let off the throttle to drop it down to idle it leaks after it is back down to that idle speed. For example, when I throttle the engine to about 1800 RPM for about 30 seconds then drop it down to idle which is about 900 RPM that is when it leaks. When it is running at that higher RPM it doesn't leak at all. So what I am trying to describe is that it leaks after it is throttled down from a higher RPM. The leak does stop after about a minute of idling. The leak is a steady ****** enough to fill a small bathroom Dixie cup each time. As you know, the bulldozer constantly has to go from higher RPM to lower RPM when pushing loads and such so I have to fix this. I put the TCH transmission fluid in it so you know it can be expensive to just continue to put transmission fluid in it when it gets low. Any advice or insight into this is greatly appreciated. What else could be the culprit of this constant leak? Thanks!!! Attached are the seals I replaced and the dust shield where it leaks
1) Is it possible seal #7 was damaged during install? Sometimes the spring on the seal lip dislodges during install. 2) Was there any wear at bushing (#12) & hub (#2)? This will allow too much movement for the seal #7 to control. 3) I have seen cracks in the 5/16" bolt drillings in the rotating housing (#24) - caused by oil/dirt being in the holes during assembly. 4) Seal #23 can leak - never actually seen it, but it is possible Basically you will have to pull it apart again & look very closely at the oil trails & hopefully something will tell you a story. :drinkup
Hi Alrman Thanks for the advice. I will certainly check these items.