Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D8N drive sprocket slips

Sask Farmer ยท 2017-08-06 23:44

Hi all I am looking for the reason the left top drive sprocket will slip one pin inside the track only when making a gradual left turn while pushing. It only does this when under load and the right side operates fine. Track tension is within spec and undercarriage is 85-90 %. Sprocket segments are 85-90 % as well. Track alignment seems fine. Is it possible there is an issue with the differential steering? Any thoughts would be appreciated TIA.

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2017-08-07 00:59

    You might have a problem with the recoil spring. Get someone to watch if the cannon is being pushed back under load.

  2. #2John C.2017-08-07 10:49

    Do your percentages mean to the good or worn? If to the good it sounds like a near new undercarriage. The might indicate a problem with alignment of the track frame to the rest of the machine. First item to check then would be the equalizer bar joint to that track frame. It that is good then I would be doing sight lines over the sprocket and down onto the front and rear idlers. Are you sure the skipping is actually the track on the sprocket and not something in the drive train?

  3. #3Hobbytime2017-08-07 15:48

    I had the same issue with a deere track loader, it ended up as Cmark stated, the tension spring bolt broke out of the retaining bracket, so the spring had no tension, when I jumped on the top of the track, it would go down and the front wheel noticeable moved back, I fixed the tension spring and all was good...