Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Member and former Lurker with questions about a D8H

Tunneldigger ยท 2017-08-09 22:06

Hello everybody, I have been lurking here and have gotten information that has been useful. I have tried to become a member several times but could never get thru the registration process, it kept kicking me out. I used to work as a mechanic for a dirt contractor 30+ years ago but got tired of long hours, low pay and fix it, don't spend no money but get it going. Now I am one of them wanna be guys that farm and work in town. I run red farm equipment but do have 2 blue ones. I got a D8H this spring for farm work and also have a Case 590Super M backhoe. I got the 8 because the farm we got last fall is terribly run down with a lot of dirt going to the gulf. I cant stand that and am making changes till today. My son was pushing today and the dozer lost power and started blowing white smoke. Any suggestions on where to start?

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2017-08-09 22:58

    Coolant level, and any oil on the top. Oil level while you're at it. Loosen injector lines one at a time to see if the noise and/or smoke does/doesn't change with which cylinders. I'm sure you'll get some expert advice if you wait around a bit.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2017-08-09 23:47

    If your air supply choked off completely to where it will only idle or run at limited RPMs with no power you will get white smoke. Partially plugged will normally smoke blacker than it should. Its a long shot but very easy to open up the air cleaner and check to eliminate this possibility.

  3. #3wrwtexan2017-08-10 00:52

    Cracked heads are an issue. Had to replace one on ours as it was pushing coolant into a cylinder during intake and compression into the cooling system. Would clear up with radiator cap off for a bit.