Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D9H T/C and Trans compatable with D9G

Hock D9G ยท 2009-04-23 04:37

The torque converter on our D9H s/n 90V 3561 is stuffed. I would like to know if the T/C and Trans from a D9G s/n 66A 7015 would fit as this was rebuilt about 2000 hrs ago. If the trans is different on the D9H would the D9G's trans internals be able swap into the D9H's trans housing. Thanks, Craig.

Replies5
  1. #1CAT D9H2009-04-23 14:33

    Hmm, thats a good one , I would be willing to say yes they would change over , i dont know that there were any changes from the D9G to the D9H regarding the trans, as for the torque converter , I have no guesses on that , I could be completly wrong though , I couldnt tell you much , we have never had any problems with our D9H trans so we have never had it out

  2. #2D6 Merv2009-04-23 17:25

    D9h No. Well it can be done, but I wouldn,t. When the D9H came out cat increased its hp to 410 from the D9Gs 385. To compensate for the extra hp they beefed up the fwd clutch to 5 bronze plates instead of the previous 4. Also I remember something about them changing from a floating pinion in the D9G to a fixed pinion in the D9H. And i think the D9H had a priority valve for the steering and the D9G didn,t. If it were mine Id rebuild the D9H tranny and converter. And make sure you clean or replace the transmission oil cooler. Merv

  3. #3Hock D9G2009-04-24 03:46

    D9h t/c Thanks for the replies. Going to use part from D9G T/C mainly the alloy stator and replace all bearings. Cleaning the oil cooler and trans lines, took covers of steering clutches to clean as much as possible. Strip transmission and pump and check condition. Craig

  4. #4Cmark2009-04-24 05:50

    Yes and no.... The torque converters are the same. Both part number 1T611. The transmissions have a lot of parts in common but they are different. There are a lot of classic parts listed for your tranny. Ask your cat dealer about them. You may be surprised at the cost. Because there are classic parts available, you can assume that there are also copy parts available from aftermarket suppliers. Ask them as well. Good luck.....

  5. #5ian gilbert2019-01-19 17:55

    Hi merv I have a D9H that had a overheating problem with the tourque converter so I bought a brand new after market one put it in hooked up every thing topped up oils and then started it only to find there is no drive shaft does not turn pressure is 450 psi no leaks but has nothing so would you have any ideas please ian