I took the radiator apart and glad I did ! What my question is , what kinda gasket/seal is best to put back in place of the old seal ? I am not about to go to the shop that "rebuilt it" 200hrs ago and ask them since I am redoing there mess . It had a allmost hard type rubber seal on it (factory I assume) that was un-saveable . Can a cork material be able to take the heat or another type of material. I made a gasket out of gasket material (after I cleared and cleaned the tubes) that was about the same thickness as contruction paper or a little thicker but as soon as I put water in it (while out of the dozer) for testing it leaked out in places , Wasnt thick enough I guess ? Got any ideas ? Thanks guys , Wingnut
What would be wrong with Silastic? Rn'R.
are you sure it was leaking from the gasket?
If you can't find anything use a high temp permatex{sp} usually red in color. I have used this stuff for yrs and never once have had a problem. Just apply wait a few minutes and put pieces back together.
Some RTV? I don't see why a good cork one wouldn't work unless the radiator is under super heavy pressure? Or your running some VERY nasty anitfreeze. What is it off of? I'll see what I can dig up today info wise if you want.
Thanks for all the replys guys . Those rats or what ever it was can sure cause a mess with those pecans huh . I just wish the rad shop would have done it right the first time . This TD-9 dozer was in parts when I got it and the rad. was under a tree thats why I took it to the rad. shop in the first place . Olddirt , it was defently leaking from the gasket I made , it wasnt leaking before I got ahold of it ,:Banghead . I dont think its under high pressure , so I will try some RTV or equivelent (spelling) today and see what happens . :beatsme . Thanks guys , Ill let you know how it turns out . Wingnut
I think I used "Ultra-Black" RTV on the heavy paper gaskets that I got from Cat....no problem so far.
I sure wish you good luck. I know you can get it to hold if the mating surfaces are good.
Good point Oldirt, make sure the surfaces are cleaned up real good. I usually use some sort of wire wheel for stuburn junk. The RTV/permatec should work quite well, I'd still use a high temp version though. I've used the stuff on engines transmissions water pumps etc and they've all held up.
Roofing felt works well if you have some laying around...........
I realised that Silastic is probably a brand name here and not known over there. The black RTV Permatex would be the equivalent to what I was referring to and would be ideal in this situation. Rn'R.
Thanks guys , I got it put back together yesterday , and filled it up with water (while off the dozer and laying on its back) to do a simple leak test , so far so good . I am gonna put a little air pressure to it and check for leaks and see if it holds before I install it back in today . Yall have been a big help , Thank yall !!! Wingnut
You can use cork gaskets. Just trim the over all size and use the bolts to punch through the gasket. No need to use gasket punches and waste that time. Also for some reason overlapping works much better than trying to butt the seals up against each other. maybe a 1/2" or less of overlap with a bit of RTV.