Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat? Deere? Komatsu?

earthandiron ยท 2010-08-22 20:09

For a finish dozer which would you prefer?

Replies19
  1. #1qball2010-08-22 20:51

    i prefer cat. i feel the deeres are too light, especially in the front end. never ran too many komatsu's.

  2. #2earthandiron2010-08-22 20:58

    yeah i find that deere is quite a bit harder to maintain a steady grade compared to a cat, and i am quite a big fan of the komatsus d61exs as a finish grade dozer, good balance.

  3. #3Dane Myran2010-08-22 21:16

    850J John Deere. I think this is an awesome machine and you can do so much with it at a very efficient pace. big enough to finish anything and small enough to move easily.

  4. #4firetruck dvr.2010-08-22 21:16

    Qball said it all. Deere has always seemed light to me. Cat all the way!

  5. #5Abscraperguy2010-08-22 21:21

    John Deere 700 for me

  6. #6earthandiron2010-08-22 21:26

    see im currently operating a 850J and like you said dane she is a perfect size and power for light bulk as well as a fairly efficient grade dozer but i do find with the front end she does seem to float a little more than say a cat of the same size.

  7. #7earthandiron2010-08-22 21:28

    has anyone had the chance to operate a new cat 5 or 6 K?

  8. #8MrElectric032010-08-24 20:36

    With the few dozers ive operated I like the Komatsus, was really unimpressed with the couple JDs I ran but they were quite beat to be fair.

  9. #9D1552010-08-24 20:50

    I've been running a D6K for the last couple weeks. Good balance(machine does have a winch), so-so power, but very nice to finish with. Almost everything is adjustable in the monitor from hystat reaction rates, blade speed, etc. Also got to spend a couple weeks on a new D51 Komatsu this year. Very nice dozer. I ran a 700H for about a month when they came out. Absolutely loved that dozer.

  10. #10rshackleford2010-08-24 22:09

    my crews seem to like the komatsu machines best. d61 and d65

  11. #11WabcoMan2010-08-25 21:05

    Ha, my preference is a Terex 82-20 but try and find one of those these days !! The Komatsu D61EX and D65EX have great balance and are economical to run. Also, you can't go past a Cat D6C or D6D

  12. #12Galute2010-08-26 21:34

    750/850J series Deere's, D51 Komatsu, 6K cat, in that order. The Deere's are great all around machines for those jobs where I go from clearing trees to bulk pushing/roughing in to finish all in one day. The D51 Komatsu's are great finish machines especially on steep slopes. They are impressive what they will climb and work on but they are light in the front with that lightweight blade and the radiators and coolers all in the back. The D5/6K Cat's are sweet machines I'm just not a Cat fan. I don't like the cab layouts on them. Love Cat graders tho. I think I'm just spoiled to Hystat machines. LOL.

  13. #13frogfarmer2010-08-27 15:20

    Never have seen 40,000 hours on a Deere; dealer support for Komat is so so in my area; use the right machine for the job and Cat is hard to beat

  14. #14hvy 1ton2010-08-27 15:46

    How many finish dozers have you ever seen with 40,000 hours? Highest I've ever seen was 16K on a JD 450 with an engine rebuild at 11K. It's still kicking around, but it's the back up machine to a 550H these days. I think he keeps it so he can go play logger in the winter and not worry about breaking windows. Not a big fan of Roadbuilders?

  15. #15buckfever2010-08-27 19:21

    i have a 555g with 16000 hours with original motor. had a head gasket replaced at 10000 and a pump at 12000. other than that machines been a solid money maker.

  16. #16frogfarmer2010-08-28 15:13

    The 555 is what all the local rental yards have in this area. They survive with any ole Joe who thinks he's an operator. In my opinion that says alot for Deere. Just have to stay true to my roots and stick with Cat

  17. #17vcinri2010-08-28 15:47

    I apologize for having to post here but for some reason the site will not let me start a new thread. If anyone could start this for me I would greatly appreciate it I am trying to repair my John Deere 750c. I need access to get under the cab for a simple fix. I have the tilt system with the jack but can not remember what had to be done to allow the jack to raise the cab. Can anyone help?? Thanks, VC

  18. #18cummins052010-08-28 18:10

    CAT D6N with diff steer is the dozer i pick when I need to light finish D6R with a 6way is what i like if i have to bulk out then finish and i can only have one machine.

  19. #19Dane Myran2010-08-30 20:30

    As far as hours go we have two 850J's. the 2006 has approximately 8,000 hours on it and the 2007 has about 7,000 hours. and for all that we have had basically zero issues. one outer planetary under warranty due to a seal that failed thats about it. Oh yeah,..... LOTS of cutting edges!