Hello there, i'm running into a problem with an old cat rocktruck. On the steel tag it say's manufactured by DJB Engineering LTD. but I can't source it through caterpillar (so they say). The serial number on the tag is 25DB7053 and it's a D25D on the decal. Any help on where to get parts would be greatly appreciated. I need everything that's in the articulated section. Thanks
Can you post a photo of the tag you are looking at.? I can see a D25D on the Cat system but the model prefix comes up as 1HK with 5 digits after that as the Serial Number of the particular machine.
My understanding is DJB designed and built those trucks using more or less Cat 966E drivetrain components. They worked out so well that Cat bought them out and started building them. They refined the cabs and a few other things but the basic machine is the same. So parts are available for the Cat components but you would need to identify the component to figure out what to look for in the Cat system. I am not sure if the articulating section is the same on the D25D and the DJB or not. We have 2 D25d's and they are great trucks. I might be able to get some photos at some point if that would help you but I am not sure when I will see one next.
Sounds like one of the original units that came into North America in the early eighties. I had one to work on at the first coal mine I worked at. I don't understand why any Cat dealer can't identify and source parts for the machine. They were originally sold through Cat dealers before mother Cat made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
Cat's information on the artic trucks starts with the C series. The B series is a pure-blood DJB and you will have to find a paper parts book. Try looking on Ebay UK. The good news is that when you do have the parts book, most things will have Cat part numbers and still be available.
After a bit of further digging I suspect that you have a D25C, despite what the decals on the machine say. DJB Product Identification Numbers were 4 alpha-numeric characters for the model followed by 4 digits for the Serial Number. So "25" is the model, "DB" is the manufacturer (DJB) and 7053 is the machine Serial Number. Here's a link to a D25C lube & maintenance manual that suits machines 6959-Up, which would include yours. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJB-D25C...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 Here's an O&M Manual for same Serial Number range https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJB-D25C...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 Here's a Service Manual for machines 6102-Up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJB-CAT-...101788?hash=item2f2d19649c:g:7G0AAOSwIh5d9sVC And to top it off, a Parts Manual covering machines 6936-Up............. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-DJB-...867524?hash=item2d0117d584:g:6g4AAOSwAxpd7ESJ
So did you ever get any manuals for it..?
No I never, I just ordered the parts for a cat D25C and they were right, but I am looking for a service manual
At least it's not just Volvo's that suffer the Aging process. The amount of A25B's that have the headlights changed and C series stickers put on them is daft. it's even harder trying to explain to a customer who has just bough it that it's not what they paid for.
I recall back in probably the early 1980's see one of those at the local Cat House! Guess it was one of the first one's imported as even the guys at the dealer were looking it over like a new toy. Seems like they said it had the axles, transmission and engine out of a 966C or was it a 980 loader?
I can't remember what they came out of, but DJB's claim to fame right from Day dot was that the machine had a 100% Cat powertrain. DJB must have been successful, Cat later bought them out lock, stock, & barrel (in a similar way to Elphinstone) and it became the Caterpillar ADT factory on the same site in Peterlee Co Durham. It is still the only facility in the world turning out the Cat ADT product line. https://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/global-footprint/eame/united-kingdom/key-facilities.html
First coal company I worked at bought a brand new D25 from the Cat dealer in 83 or 84. We could work year around with that unit. They bought a D22 after that. They were two axle four wheel drive units. I think Cat bought them out in 1989 because the second mine I worked at started with one D550 DJB and three D550B Cats. To be polite, those units were far less than successful. They were Cat componentry but the insides were tweaked with different gearing and valve controls. Those units were a shadow of what is available now.
I just did vertical pins on a Volvo and got sticker shock parts for just the vertical pins were over 9,000 dollars needless to say I got some used parts from Ironpeddlers for about 2,500 and put it back together
what machine was that? $9000 for pins!
A30 D pins bearings and all the spacers
Wow you guys are getting Robbed blind, I could sell you both pins top and bottom, both bearings, all four seals, the top spacer, both Jam nuts the nut bolt and washer through the top pin all for around UK£1500, and that's new parts not good used.
That is what I was quoted also around 35,000 for a transmission for one of these
You just found a new way to make a great living! Buy there, sell here.
we sell at around UK£12500 for reconditioned with a pair of oil coolers, But thats exchange and the shipping would be quite a bit well it is what we do
Im going to do a post in a few minutes on a JCB articulated truck with a zf. Im looking for tech info.............??