Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat E70B Hyd Thumb Install

dieseldog5.9 · 2019-05-23 15:01

Old trusty Cat E70B has a manual thumb, would like to make it a hydraulic thumb looking for information to plumb into the valve bank on this machine if it is possible. SN 7YF01328

Replies7
  1. #1bindian2019-07-31 16:34

    If it is like my mid 80s E70, that would need major replumbing at the valve bank. When I plumbed my hyd. thrumb, I installed an electric over hyd. diverter valve and plumbed the bucket lines to it. Now when I want to close the thumb, I just push the button my right control stick and move the control stick to close the bucket. hugs, Brandi

  2. #2uffex2019-08-01 02:34

    Good day DD Please see attached may help you. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3check2019-08-01 09:00

    The previous owner of my 1992 E70B installed a hydraulic thumb. Here are pics of the plumbing;

  4. #4check2019-08-01 09:19

    And here is the solenoid valve he mounted below the radiator. it is controlled by the switch on the right joystick and the hoses go to the pilots on the third section of the main valve bank.

  5. #5dubster122025-04-30 18:52

    Saw this post and had some questions about the setup. The aluminum block above the swing motor. Why have that between the solenoid and the lines for the thumb ?

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-05-01 07:30

    That’s for pressure relief and speed settings.

  7. #7dubster122025-05-01 08:20

    Thanks, I'm no wizard when it comes to hydraulics . Building my own thumb as I'm more into fabrication and operation. Pretty hard finding information on the older machines but I'm more comfortable working on them and find them more reliable.