Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat e70b swing bearing

Trivia ยท 2017-05-16 08:11

Hey!! I got an early 90's e70b. The swing bearings got a little play, i.e. sideways movement between upperstructure and undercarriage. It is a Japanese model, gray market machine or whatever, hence importer doesn't know jack about it Therefore i'm looking at Chinese part suppliers and they seem eager to give a hand. However they are asking for a parts number or schematics. Neither of which i have. I do have a parts number for a European made model from the importer, but im really not sure if they've changed the drawings, doesn't sound very likely eh, but then again..? Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about these machines? I haven't taken her apart yet, to see if there would be a number stamped on the bearing assembly. It was also made as a Mitsubishi, but not sure if that'll be of any use. Any ideas at all?

Replies11
  1. #1check2017-05-16 09:14

    I don't know the answer to your question. I need to check the bearing on my 1992 E70B. Normally bearing wear is measured up and down by raising the boom and them pushing down on the ground with the bucket and raising the undercarriage. Readings are taken with a magnetic base dial indicator. If the readings are less than 3/16" or so, I would just keep it greased and use it. Check to see if all the bolts are in and tight.

  2. #2uffex2017-05-16 12:42

    Good day This link may help How to measure swing ring wear excatech.org - Library - undercarriage - how2 measure swing ring wear Hope it helps Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3Trivia2017-05-23 01:13

    Thanks for replies! I'll have a spannerman take a look at it. Chinese are really eager to send a bearing for one fifth of what the spares desk sold their last one years ago. Stinks or not, i dont know, but i think it's worth the risk, for the machine itself for real cheap. They even sent details on the bearing in no time at all.

  4. #4squidrig2017-05-24 20:11

    Sideways play sounds more like a worn swing gear or a swing brake issue , swing bearing wear is almost always up and down and is caused from lack of grease , over greasing , or severe service like trying to pull out redwood stumps

  5. #5check2017-05-24 23:26

    Sideways play should be defined. A worn swing gear or brake could cause rotary play, but not horizontal play between the upper and lower race of the swing bearing. I would call the latter sideways play.

  6. #6Trivia2017-05-27 10:49

    Thanks for replies. Suppose i'll be wiser once taken her apart. Hoses off the swivel joint, bolts off the bottom and jack the top off I suppose?

  7. #7check2017-05-27 13:28

    I wouldn't go that far until I had dial indicator readings.

  8. #8Trivia2017-05-28 02:46

    Well, there is an another thing which is a sort of a single clanking noise when turning first one way and then returning the other way from that turn, accompanied by a slight lag in turning. I'm not sure if its a radial movement of the bearing or the swing gear/unit. Suppose i should pull that before separating the structures and check the swing unit bearing etc first.

  9. #9uffex2017-05-28 04:53

    Hi Triviia I would endorse check,s comments replacing the part may not improve your situation, suggest you drain the swing transmission see if you get any witness stuff to an impending failure, after which remove and inspect the transmission. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10check2017-05-28 08:20

    Slack in the gears could cause clanking and lag. So could a loose swing reduction.

  11. #11Trivia2017-06-14 01:14

    Thanks for all the comments. Spanner man came along. Really liked how everything worked on it. Of course couldn't produce the sound when he tried, how else. Good news is that she's all fine and ready for work.