I was talking to a friend this weekend about aftertreatment systems and I remembered that CAT used a system at one time that pulled the EGR from after the DPF. I think that they had a name for it but I can't remember it right now. I thought that they used it on the C15 at least. It sounded like a good idea to me but I thought I heard that it had some problems. I would love to see some feedback on what you know about it.
a google of cat cgi (Clean Gas Induction) will tell you all you need to know, it was a low pressure egr system that was downstream of the dpf
Yup they called it CGI. Cool system because it was clean and no soot. What didnt work good was the piping from the back of the dpf up to the engine had a flex pipe in it that would crack and suck dirt into the engine. Might be more of the OEMs fault then CAT, as the piping would be up to the OEM.
Lee prefix c13 used it I wander how many lee and sdp engine are left that havent been converted to a earlier prefix the lee c13 in our sterling fell out and a c12 put in its place.
I had one of those goofy things in a 08, T800. One of the very last, on-highway C15 ACERT engines. Despite the lawsuits & overall hate, it was surprisingly reliable for us. She even had a single spark plug. Whoduthunkit?
Sparkum plugs on a oil burner ???
In the beckett burner (ard head)
Is it still around with all the goods?
Part number 295-3099. Screwed into the ARD head. The dash looked like a Christmas tree most of the time, and it operated in de-rate mode for 90% of its life. But, top speed from the tank farm, through downtown is 25MPH, on a good day between the narrow streets, traffic and tourists. So, nobody cared if She was slow.
I believe so. I haven’t been to JNU for awhile, but I believe She is still delivering the mail.
I know all about derate we went from Kanas/Missouri line to Salix pa in derate it was a long 24 hours!
Was the ARD head not a very reliable thing? Was there other parts of the ACERT engines that where not very reliable?
You name it, lose one turbo it turns to two. Had a customer with one in a 06 in petercar he thought a pittsburgh power was the way to go--it went alright, put a 10"x10" window in it. Cummins tried that compound turbo crap in 1979 with the BCII 475, it wasn't around long and it had zero emissions. Boost would hit 52 psi--those head bolts were crying rod bearings screaming.
Low production numbers, constant software updates, ridiculously heavy and cumbersome system with lots of tubing, and so on. From a dealer perspective, top level truck engine techs were hard to find and employ. Many didn’t want to work on iron, in between the occasional truck engine. Finding a dealer willing to work on one, in a timely manner, was difficult. Unless it was someplace along the interstate with a dedicated truck shop. Product improvements were halted, the announcement was demoralizing, dealers felt ripped off after dumping millions into training and tooling. Bad place to be for a customer.
ACERT--Advanced Combustion Emission Reduction Technology. Cat spent over 500 million on development of a overly complicated air delivery more precise fuel timing system with too many parts hanging on right side creating too much heat under the hood. Meanwhile Daimler and Cummins experimented with EGR, both with less than adequate success in many cases. Daimler had the EGR mounted on right side Cummins on left side, Cummins finally decided the issues they had were related to too much cooling by being on left side, or the story goes and followed Daimlers right side ideas. But Daimler had it's issues with VGT and VPOD on DDECV Series 60 and the idea of high boost pressures of 50 psi in a engine designed for 33 psi. The DDECV couldn't hold head gaskets, and combustion entering cooling system was a constant issue. Cummins was a little better in that department with VGT. Some, only a few, I know of one guy who still runs a ACERT that has held together, it ran almost a million miles before any real major work with both original turbos intact. It's at 1.5 million right now, only one I know of. * To meet the criteria Daimler invested heavily and designed/built the DD13/15/16 series. A whole new {I hate using the term platform} platform and dropping the outdated Series 60. Cummins started the ISX in early 2000's and plodded ahead to the X15.