Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Electronic Tech, Hardware Interface?

Quantum ยท 2018-09-18 02:06

Finishing up a rebuild of a 2016 299D2 (total burnout), and have a new ECM which must be programmed. Local dealer would like for me to pay $1,100 to drive 20 miles and spend 30 minutes programming it. This is a total bolts-up rebuild and I'm expecting lots of bugs. So one service call surely won't do it... even at that astronomical price. Since this is a Tier 4 machine, seems I have three choices for the hardware interface: - The older 317-7485 ET3 - Chinese knockoff of the 317-7485 ET3, with unknown firmware age and sellers unresponsive to questions; - The newer 478-0235 ET3, which is at least $800. The only text I can find is that these program the -engine- ECM (Kubota), and nothing about the -machine- ECM, although surely they must program that too. I hear a rumor about needing an interface that can do two data streams of some sort, in order to test and program the engine properly. Anyone know about this? Can the older interface do this? Apparently the adapters come in 7 pin, 9 pin, and 14 pin. As I haven't put my cab together yet I don't know which I need. I have full access to SIS and ET2017. The dealer offered me the ET software for $1,200, but apparently this is for only "Customer Mode"/ (Read: 'Toy Mode') There's also a Dealer Mode, and a Factory Mode. I probably need Factory Mode under the circumstances. Is the software the same, it's only a question of passwords? If the ET3 interface has say, 2015A firmware, and I have 2017A software, can I use the software to upgrade the firmware in the interface? I expect that the DP filter will be clogged, and I understand that something must be done to turn the gunk to ash for easier cleaning. Anyone know about that? Is it a function of the ET software?

Replies8
  1. #1dtcohen2018-09-19 10:09

    Programing a new ECM is definitely not a 30 minute job. You are looking at a minimum of 4 hours to get the new ECM configured and run through all of the calibrations. The machine will need to be assembled and ready to run as many of the calibrations have to be performed with the machine running. The older 317-7485 will work just fine. I don't know anything about the Chinese knockoffs and would not recommend going that route. You will need to purchase a copy of Caterpillar's "Electronic Technician" software. The latest version is 2018C, but an older version will work for your machine. (I wouldn't get a version older than your machine). Here is a link to a video that shows some of the user interface of ET. And another video showing the installation process. ET will allow you to see all of the ECM's on the machine (engine, machine, product link, aftertreatment, display) You will need a 9 pin adapter. I don't know that there is any difference between a "customer mode" and a "dealer mode". To install some of the optional features like self level, you will be asked for factory passwords. You will probably have to get the dealer to help with that. The DPF may be clogged. The machine will be able to detect how full it is and will automatically go through a regeneration process. The process can also be manually run using ET. The DPF has a limited lifespan and can only be regenerated so many times. If it is too sooted up then a regen will not clear it and you will have to replace the DPF. Long story short, Your best two options are 1. Purchase a communications adapter and ET software from the dealer and attempt to do the work yourself. 2. Pay the dealer to come do it. If the dealer will do it for $1100, then that is the cheapest way to go.

  2. #2Quantum2018-09-19 12:09

    Hm, your first video is of a cracked version of ET 2017 from the underground, free. And at the end he advertises his cracked 2018A for a small fee. Notice it's in Dealer Mode. I had to slow the video to half-speed though, as I can't read in quarter-second segments. I have the official training for ET. And ET 2017A, as I say. And now I find that the interface's firmware can be upgraded in ET through Utilities|Comm adapter 3 tool kit. Unknown about the dual data streams to be able to do all engine adjustments though. Yes, the dealer offered me ET in 'Customer' mode for $1,200. please... I'm quite sure that the only difference between Customer, Dealer, and Factory modes is passwords. Appreciate your info but two Cat techs tell me programing takes from 30 minutes to two hours. But since this is a total rebuild (Service didn't know this) I have no doubt that there will be kinks and bugs in the systems, which render's the dealer's charges just way out of the ballpark for what it is; debugging might take days. I guess most of their customers have no choice, and they thought they could force me like them... well they forced me alright... to find alternatives. I tried to give them my money but they're exercising monopoly power, so I've appealed to Cat and they're looking into this ridiculous quote. Good to know that 317-7485 will work and that I have 9 pin, but dual datastreams is in doubt. Had two chances to buy one yesterday, but some joker running bid-sniping software beat me out in the last 3 seconds on both of them. On the DPF, the Service Manager cautioned me to do the operation to turn gunk to ash before I bring the filter in for cleaning. At that time I didn't know about ET, and he knew I was quite new, which implies that this could be done from the loader's control screen. Still investigating. I should have the machine ready to power up in a week or so. Too bad y'all missed the rebuild process because of a few smart-alecks here.

  3. #3Tags2018-09-19 19:05

    Sounds like it's coming along....it's too bad the Cat dealer won't work with you a bit on the programming, especially since, if I remember correctly, you spent a lot of money on Cat parts to get it back together.

  4. #4Quantum2018-09-20 01:06

    All systems closed. Time to wire and fit out the cab. This is a large and complex machine. Getting hydraulics right was the hardest part, next to cleaning and painting. Looking around, I don't find evidence of anyone else in the world doing a bolts-off restoration of a tier 4 machine I ended up buying the latest ECM interface (478-0235) for $700. I'll use it, then sell it since I won't need it anymore. I know it'll do the job, and I'll see that money again..

  5. #5tool_king2018-09-23 12:13

    You will need it in the future if you run into any issues down the road.Say with engine tier 4 stuff. I would hold on to it .I it will be cheaper have it than pay dealer to come out to you.

  6. #6f311fr12018-10-06 22:01

    How is the project going? Getting close to start up?

  7. #7mousa2023-03-30 03:42

    can anyone help me with this!!!!! i try to install cat ET2018C but when it comes to this installation window it gets stuck and nothing happens, no further process , i cant install it !!!!

  8. #8Nige2023-03-30 09:16

    I think that if you were installing a genuine up-to-date version of ET purchased from Cat it would work. I suggest you complain to the Nigerian prince you bought the pirate copy from.