Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Engine Speed Sensor Output Voltage

Machinist ยท 2020-09-09 08:15

Does anyone know the output voltage range from low to high idle on the engine speed sensor? Sensor PN 318-1181 is the specific one I have in mind

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2020-09-09 09:01

    Most deliver against a steady reference supplied voltage but vary the dwell time, have to use a specific Processor/Diagnostics tester to read the signal.

  2. #2Machinist2020-09-09 09:36

    Ah ok, that makes sense. Without buying a specific diagnostic tester, do you think it makes sense to say that if I am getting a reading (~56mV) there is a 51% chance the sensor is working properly?

  3. #3Nige2020-09-09 09:39

    That sensor generates an AC voltage. The voltage should remain constant with changing engine RPM. It's the frequency that changes. "A passive (two-wire) magnetic frequency-type sensor converts mechanical motion to an AC voltage. A typical magnetic pickup consists of a coil, pole piece, magnet, and housing. The sensor produces a magnetic field that, when altered by the passage of a gear tooth, generates an AC voltage in the coil. The AC voltage is proportional to speed. The frequency of the AC signal is exactly proportional to speed (rpm)." I assume you've already done the basics and removed the sensor to make sure the business end is clean with no metal shavings attached to it..? Also is it correctly adjusted.?

  4. #4Machinist2020-09-09 10:03

    Ah so its an inductive sensor then? I thought it was a Hall effect sensor. Yep, clean and adjusted. I have a feeling it is actually the controller that is faulty, but this sensor is less expensive so I was trying to rule that out first.

  5. #5sergioasmi2020-09-09 17:50

    you have an error code or only wants to know the informaton

  6. #6CatKC2020-09-10 09:46

    Electronic computer controls usually convert sensor AC signals to DC. You can check if the output of the sensor by using a DC multi-meter and a diode. Put the diode in series with the DC multi-meter and it will show the 'half wave rectified' DC voltage. The DC voltage will vary according to the amplitude and frequency of the AC, the speed of the engine.