Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

329 Traveling Question

Justin98 ยท 2020-09-09 21:05

CAT 329E - Excavator Serial # - CAT0329ETPLW00668 Operator states that when operating the machine and the tracks get in a bind; One track will not pull as hard as the other. Checked monitor for codes. Found nothing related to the travel issues. I'm assuming the travel motor is going out on that side. Any advice or items to check. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2020-09-09 23:08

    Travel straight with zero other functions put one pump to each track. Travel straight while operating any other other function (I prefer to curl the bucket) makes one pump run both tracks, and the other pump runs, in this case, the bucket. So...while travelling, operate the bucket, and see if both tracks become equal in power/ performance. Through the monitor, observe each pump pressure by operating bucket unfurl to stall, then stick out to stall. I believe those 2 functions are one pump, and different pumps.

  2. #2Justin982020-09-10 09:57

    So I'm assuming that if the track does not function properly with another function activated such as the bucket curl, it would be a pump issue? If the track does no funtion properly with no stick functions I am assuming that the drive motor would be bad. Am I correct in my assumptions?

  3. #3heymccall2020-09-10 10:12

    You need to verify pump output pressure first, each pump. Operating any upper while travelling is a quick and dirty test. Just simply hold bucket curl slightly on, while monitoring pump outputs in the monitor. Or, you could monitor pump pressures while stalling each track with a heavy steel pin. You didn't say how many hours, but, assuming that the case drain filter has been changed regularly, and there is no contamination in the return filter, then, imho, fault codes need checked first, then pump pressures need checked, then each final need tested at stall, then case drain output and swivel integrity.

  4. #4John C.2020-09-11 11:32

    You might also check cycle times on boom up and then each track before actually taking anything apart.

  5. #5Jam2020-09-12 03:42

    Would it be worth changing out the rotary manifold seals first before condemning any big components?

  6. #6heymccall2020-09-12 17:17

    NO! Test, test, test...I mean, I suppose, you could just throw parts at it. But, everything above doesn't even require money.

  7. #7Cmark2020-09-12 18:18

    This thread contains some useful discussion. HeavyEquipmentForums