Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat ET alternative

brian p · 2019-05-13 23:15

Are there any alternatives to ET and other communication devices for equipment ECM’s? Has anyone ever tried the scan tool by texa diesel laptops?

Replies8
  1. #1mikebramel2019-05-14 13:25

    Texa will read engine codes, do cylinder cut outs, but won't do much past that on most cat machines.... In my experience. Newer machines may have more functionality under texa

  2. #2simonsrplant2019-05-30 01:17

    I have texa software for heavy duty highway and off highway It's ok... Just ok. Not great but equally not bad. I use it as a joker card for the few units I don't have the proper software for. I like that it does most things, like a crescent wrench... I dislike it's own comm adapter, need a big case and leads etc rather than integrating with nexiq for example. It's layout is not my preference either but that's just me. Ill likely get pocket fleet diagnostics in the near future which from my research is (technically a downgrade) it's closest rival.

  3. #3JD955SC2019-05-30 03:31

    What’s the age of the machines? The “traditional” diagnostic port is a 7 pin connector but newer machines have a 14 pin port that rolled out in Tier 4 final generations. The photos of the aftermarket bundles I’ve seen don’t show an adapter for this plug. The genuine current comm adapters have a “Y” cable that has both styles of connectors.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2019-05-30 05:21

    Ahhh.. its good to have a man on the inside.. Thanks JD..

  5. #5JD955SC2019-05-30 09:43

    You’re welcome! I wish I had a chance to play around with the construction and Ag side of this independent system but I don’t know anyone who has it

  6. #6kjkoch2019-05-30 12:07

    I've had mine a little over a year. The truck side is pretty good. The off road side not so much.

  7. #7Mike L2019-05-30 19:26

    I’ve been researching texa and I’ve heard wonderful things and awful things. I’d like to demo one and spend about 3 days just riding around, visiting my customers and plugging into their machines to see what it will do.

  8. #8kjkoch2019-05-30 22:20

    That was my plan too, they give you a week i think to see if you like it or not. I did'nt get all the cables i needed the first few days, so that worked against me.