Hello all I am having a problem with my track adjuster not taking grease, pump it up and kicks coupler off. I have replaced the grease fitting with a new one and acts the same. Would like to see an Exploded drawing to better diagnose Any help would be appreciated. Thanks D.Bird Serial # CBA01403
The track adjuster is very simple. See illustration below. Question: How far out is the piston #5 extended right now.? In other words how much chrome can you see.?
Or to put it another way are the idlers as far out of the track frame as these photos the @John C. posted earlier.?
Hello and thanks for the reply. I was trying to adjust track as they were a bit loose. the fitting would only take a couple of pumps then pop off grease coupler. I pushed the idler back a wisker with the bucket thinking maybe packed with mud. Now my track is very loose and fitting will still not take grease. Had fitting off in my hand and grease will flow through freely.
The track adjuster is seized by the sounds of it, or at least seized to the point where grease pressure alone will not move it.
Good day Attached, maybe worth a check. Kind regards Uffex
Any ideas on loosening one up or is it remove and replace?
At work now will have a look when I get home tonite. You have seen this before?
Here's an illustration of the complete tensioner(2)/recoil spring(3) setup.
Thanks for the help Nige do you think the adjuster can be removed without taking off the track?
Some can be, I don't know about your machine. All I know is that the service manual procedure for CBA01403 is to split the track, slide out the front idler and recoil mechanism, then remove the track adjuster. That doesn't mean to say it's the only way the job can be done. I seem to recall some time in the past an alternative by removing one (or maybe two) track rollers that allowed the adjuster to come out of the track frame via a hole in the bottom. There are no illustrations of the track roller frame for your machine so I have no idea if this is possible or not.
Getting bolting fr
The bolting in the back of the adjuster will be a job but I think with a track roller removed the adjuster might come out. The machine is in the back 40 and I am at work so will have a good look tomarrow. Thanks again for the help.
Try a new coupler on your grease gun and or a grease fitting on the adjuster. Bad Bob
I would remove the grease nipple completely first and push your front idler all the way in. The dipper arm can push it in or put a block of wood in your drive sprocket and rotate the track. This may free up the adjuster enough so your grease gun can pump it back up. I’d suggest an electric Milwaukee and new grease fitting as well. It’s very rare for these guns not to be able to pump a tight adjuster.
I did try a new fitting and i was also using a Milwaukee grease gun on the 10,000 setting , but maybe did not have idler back all the way ,will give it a try. Thanks
It's quite common for these type of adjusters to seize. If you have workshop facilities you can cut them apart to fix it but usually they need a new one.
Okay DBird it’s sounds like you’ve got the right tool so just try and push the idler all the way in before you start splitting tracks. It may just free it up enough. How far out is it? You may have enough wear in your links to take your track off intact from the front idler without splitting it. Just need a forklift or mini digger to assist getting it back on.
I had same issue prior. Took fitting out and rebuilt with new head. Worked right away.
A lot of track adjusters have a ball and seat in front of the zerk fitting keeping the zerk fitting from having to hold the extreme amount of pressure from the dirt building up on the idler. I don’t know if your machine has that setup but you may want check that out to make sure if you do it isn’t seized up.